Cre8audio East Beast & West Pest

I think they both have knowingly goofy panel designs but they’re fun and I actually quite like them. Some might want a different kind of goof though - of the mid ‘90s Graphical Equalizer hi-fi kind.

4 Likes

Hi all, first post here.

I’m looking into the possibility of making some overlays for these two synths. If that works out, what kind of designs would be of most interest to you guys? Clean and simple? Monochromatic? Keeping the original colours but making them easier to read? Modern or classic?

Let me know. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I think you’re right on the money here. I actually really enjoy the green and blue in the same way I think it looks good on the Moog granny. A bit of standout colors makes it it’s own thing. My gripe is with the illustration, I really genuinely dislike it. Maybe because I’m an illustrator myself I should love these, but it feels cheap and childish in the style (and execution tbh). Even if it was just the moon and trees, this synth design would still get 4 stars imo (esp like the knobs). The fact that they had to put a literal ‘east beast’ yeti on the front plate just rubs me the wrong way. I do think I’m very much their target audience. Probably a sticker overlay will solve all of my irks, and the criticism is so superficial too. Kind of sad this part dominates the discussion of an otherwise amazing little product imo.

Can’t wait to hear more demos when these two will arrive at people’s homes.

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum Heinakroon !

I will rely on friends here to make more discriminating suggestions. Looking through your other designs for other synths i see we have lots of good options. I will make some basic observations.

Unless people choose to also replace the control knobs, the two synths already have colors on the knobs – green and blue with the East Beast, and white and yellow with the West Pest. These colors are also associated with the two shift button modes.

Now people could get new control knobs ( fwiw these knobs were custom made by Cre8audio ), but i will propose we keep the knobs and these colors.

I think a design that loses the distractions, but creates a functional environment would be preferred, while secondarily still presenting a distinct design flair.

Each synth has three functional control areas, and then the keyboard / control buttons along the bottom. So a design that delineates this functional layout is helpful.

Tying the patch bay plug functions to the sections that they connect with is helpful. Also delineation of output and input.

Since the two shift modes have colors, clearly connecting that is good.

Others here no doubt have other basic functional suggestions that relate to a design as well.

One thing that i would find helpful, and perhaps there is not room, but to have reminders for some of the 4 LED message codes on the front panel, without having to refer to the manual, would be helpful. The LED light arrangements seems somewhat random.

What do others think ?

1 Like

Welcome to the party! :slight_smile:

I saw your overlay on the K2 passing by on Modulargrid.
Looking at your website I see all these amazing looking renders but no actual photos of synths using your overlays. Maybe you wanna look into that cause currently as a customer I have no clue what it would actually look like in real life.

1 Like

i looked into this but there’s just not enough room. i’ll make a cheatsheet to go with the overlay i reckon.

my friend has an old drum machine (forget which) that actually has a pull-out reference sheet attached to its underside. it’s great, should definitely be more commonplace.

In design ( software / hardware for me ) i think in terms of challenges not barriers.

i’m sure it’s possible. would be a challenge to eyesight though.

1 Like

Today I learned that Allen & Heath are not the only company making a thing called K2!

would be a squeeze

3 Likes

Imagine trying to remember all that !

Good summary. Are those pretty much similar between the two ? That would help.

ADDED : Note that i said some in my original message.

1 Like

Can the West Pest bongo like a Buchla? That question came up in another thread.

Fisher and Nichols don’t address that question directly, but maybe they address it indirectly

3 Likes

I’d have prepaid for a West Pest whilst out and about yesterday but Patchwerks wouldn’t take my money. I guess they don’t do preorders :0(

The controller sections on the East Beast and West Pest appear identical (based only on reading of the manuals).

1 Like

Cued up this video to the Dynamics Controller portion. “If you want a long attack, you need a different synthesizer”

Cross posting my initial impressions of East Beast that I shared on MW

Got mine today. Initial impressions

Sound is nice. Love The filter shape and wave form flexibility.

Filter - maybe my misunderstanding but I thought the filter is meant to not self resonate - it doesn’t quite but it’s like it’s trying to from 4 to 5 o’clock on the knob. Sounds smooth.

Options and capabilities built in to the controller are super nice!

The case is pretty cool! The mounting posts are molded in plastic but not with self tapping screws. The module does not use a ribbon cable to connect to the power supply in the case, the Power connector mates directly to shrouded pins on the PSU board. This means that when you remove screws, it doesn’t fall out, you have to gently pry or use gravity and shaking to release the beast, if you will.

Envelope and VCA are quite clicky which I am thankful for - but now we are coming in to what might be a deal breaker for me. The pot ranges are suited for the far side of the range, not the near side.

Attack - if you want to dial the click out but still have a sharp attack, it is very difficult. Start position is clicking but by 8 o’clock you are starting to hear that attack ramp up to open.

Decay/Release at 9 o’clock is already at 2-2.5 seconds long - I desperately want more short snap. At the end of the range we are at 12-13 seconds.

FM - if I want a nice vibrato level FM, I get maybe the first 3% of the range to try and hit that (so between like 7 and 730 on the clock). By the time I get to 9 o’clock we are well in to laser territory.

I want more resolution in the short/subtle end of the range on the knobs but these all seem to be quite wide. Makes me think most pots are linear when I would have preferred audio taper. This might be a change I can make for the four pots in question.

Overall I think this is a great little unit even if it were $100 more expensive. It’s a steal at the asking price.

6 Likes

I saw your MW post but it’s easier to thank you here. That information about pot ranges is exactly the sort of thing that we need to hear about.

Both synths are in the price range, plus that they’re already Eurorack, that modding them is certainly an option.

There will probably be some good mods made.

I want to be clear that I’m able to get the envelope I want 4/5 times but we can do better here. I just am surprised that the EG is setup to play a note for so long!

1 Like

i would really love to see those 2 synthesizers in the hands of mylarmelodies

1 Like