Dedicated Elektron granular box - when?

You mean Fin25 will come back eventually? :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

The premise of this thread and many like it are moot because
A) lot of people still buy and use OT and
B) There is no indication that Elektron are not working on a new OT or have anything against granular (and why should they have to release it today, before it’s ready, to satisfy a disgruntled forum user?)

2 Likes

And @darenager has just reignighted my GAS for the Octatrack. For faith’s sake!

1 Like

Right and y’all biting

5 Likes

This needs a timeout, maybe some of the provocateurs do too, so putting the brakes on for now

This topic was automatically opened after 107 minutes.

2 Likes

To be honest, I find Granular stuff interesting but difficult to use besides ambient / cineastic sounds.

At the moment I like Audiodamage Quanta 2. However it is quite easy to reach the limits even of a water cooled higher end tower pc (with impressive CPU, RAM and so on), if I use a high grain density and lots of small grains. So how could its vast features be implemented in a sampler or groovebox?

That sounds familiar actually. It might have been a firmware issue that got fixed. But never mind you’ve got new gear to play with :slightly_smiling_face:

Yeah, it doesn’t seem within the scope of the kinds of DSP chips that Elektron uses. They’re more interested in squeezing as much out of a limited amount of voices/CPU power than providing the processing power to allow for 1024 simultaneous grains spread over the stereo field.

1 Like

is that google drive link safe? i see the account has been deleted now and just wanted to double check as im quite curious what it sounds like

it certainly is …

just have a look already, lol

:tongue:

2 Likes

1010 Blackbox rules for granular, and so many other reasons.

Did you try it against the lemondrop? I’d be curious to hear their granular-ness side by side and here about strengths/weaknesses.

1 Like

Has anyone succeeded in doing granular techniques on the Octatrack without heavy clicking?
I’ve done some exciting glitchy granular stuff using the retrig, but I’d love to find a way to apply a “window” envelope to reduce the clicking. The amp envelope doesn’t seem to help. I think maybe a designer LFO could be applied to volume? Any suggestions welcome!

Can you make drums/percussion with granular synthesis? I know very little about granular but being able to make drum sounds is something every Elektron device seems good at and one of their appealing attributes. If it can, perhaps there is scope for a stand alone Elektron granular device.

If you’re going for a continuous sound, you want to layer (at least) two grains so that they dovetail when they overlap, at least when you only have a few grains at a time.

Idk much in particular about the OT but if I were to try to make it work on a sampler without grain-oriented features, I would try a number of things. But keep in mind I haven’t tried most of this stuff, and I imagine some of it is a non-starter on most samplers.

• Setup envelopes that last the length of the desired grain size.
  • The envelopes should be symmetrical so that the attack and release phases have equal duration.
  • If sustain is used, it needs to be at 100% to avoid the harshness. And exponential curves without enough sustain duration will need 3 note poly, otherwise you only need 2. I think log curves with maybe a bit of sustain duration are probably best, but ÂŻ\_(ツ)_/ÂŻ.
  • For a linear ‘curve’, the next grain should be triggered at the start of the release stage of the previous grain. This keeps the amplitude at unity gain. If the timing is off, you’ll get some kind of tremolo or AM-type effect depending on grain size. (Other curves will need adjustment depending on how curved they are.)
  • If the arp is fast enough to keep up with the grain size, that could be a time-saver.
  • A free-running uni-polar (positive) up-saw LFO can be used to scan through the sample. Ideally there should be some way or resetting it at the beginning of a note without having to use the note-on reset (since each grain is a note, and logical notes are successions of grains.) Locks are a good candidate, or on some boxes they can be synced to the beat/bar, etc. This might require a sample&hold type setting on the lfo, so the grain doesn’t shift as the lfo runs. Depends on the machine. Mod depth determines the scan range, and speed determines how fast the sample is scanned.
  • Depending on the desired effect, the scan speed may need to be kept low to avoid skipping too many grains.
  • Otoh, if a linear scan isn’t desired, something other than a positive up-saw may be called for.
  • A second LFO, set to random (or whatever you feel like) can be combined with the first one to add some jitter. Mod depth should usually be less than the size of a single grain, and normally you would want to reset every grain, but letting it free-run with a speed that is low enough that several grains play between changes might have an interesting effect.
  • An LPF may help taming residual glitchiness. A resonant LPF might accentuate the glitch in a way that is desirable. A resonant BP/HPF could make some intense sounds.

As a general strategy, I would try to get the grains playing in a way that sounded as much like the original sound as possible. Then tweak the parameters mentioned above to get the desired effect, or just go ham and see what happens.

Timing is probably going to be tricky for small grains. Starting with larger grains might be a good way to figure out how clean you can get it to sound, then shrink them down with that kind of target in mind. Ultimately the resolution of the machine is going to give out at some point.

HTH.

1 Like

This is a really good tip.

Thanks for your suggestions! Great to have some general advice, that can apply to any device. Maybe I could try this stuff on my 90s Akai rack sampler … :thinking:

2 Likes

I hear that , I wanted a GR1 in the fund me stage but pulled due to no direct input sampling.
I went the Gotharman route instead.