Depeche Mode albums ranked

Does anybody know, how they made the drum sounds of the first track? It sounds a bit like a DFAM to me.

Apparently it was a soma pulsar from what I’ve read

2 Likes

Oh yes, thanks! This sounds great. Now, I have to look for a free sample pack of the soma pulsar.

1 Like

Look on this page, a fair way down under the rules. There is a link that says “these samples”.

https://somasynths.com/soma-contest2020/

There is also this by @Claid :

2 Likes

Awesome! Thanks!

Just had a listen to the latest Depeche Mode LP produced by James Ford (simian mobile disco) and Marta Salogni (Bjork amongst others) and was pleasantly shocked! Songwriting aside, the production is truly amazing and has a solid character throughout! Congrats!

7 Likes

I just wanted to buy the new Depeche Mode album. Lp version was 49€ in The Netherlands. What an unpleasant surprise was this

1 Like

There is still plenty guitar distortion all over the new album. Looks like I am again the minority who miss the clean and clear sound and structure of Alan Wilders production. Sorry but not a big fan of the new album … After Songs of Faith and Devotion I only hear Gahans solo album sound like Its NIN with Gahan singing.

1 Like

You had me, when you mentioned NIN. Are you talking about “Imposter”?

I tried to like the new album but left me flat and feeling sad not in a gothy sad sort of way.

2 Likes

Maybe if you get tickets to see them for $200 you can buy one at the show for 39€.

ha too old for that. noise is the word. I am just not impressed. just flat, nothing really stands out. meh album … like most of them in the past 15+ years … Ultra was last album where I have recognized at least some remains of the dm sound I grew up with…… and then it was gone …

3 Likes

I agree 100% that ultra was the last great DM album and I’ve not been a big fan of any album since as you can see with my previous rankings, their last 5 albums are my bottom 5 however imo this is better than all of them, I’ve listened to Momento Mori for a week now and think it’s really great, give it a few more listens and it might grow on you