Desktop delay & reverb units - recommendations please

Thanks for the tips, guys.

@LyingDalai - that is actually a good idea, especially given the CV sources mentioned by others. However, I’ve owned one before, it’s bigger than I want and I would like a different flavour of delay & reverb (I have a DN and AR and their reverb & delays are very similar). I’d also just end up using it as a synth.

GFI Specular Tempus looks very interesting (thanks @StuMiller) but the Doctor A appears to be a favourite here and meets all the requirements - it’s form factor is great and looks very tweakable.

Decision made - thanks for the advice :pray:

3 Likes

I am using a Specular Reverb v3 (second hand 160€), a Audiothingies Doctor A, a Yamaha SPX990 as well as a Boss DD7 and a Zoom MS70 CDR.

Which is your favourite?

A4mk1 are super “bang for buck” right now, built like a tank, great delay and reverb, with much more controls than other desktop units, and you can p-lock effects

1 Like

Reverb: Specular Reverb v3
Delay: Audiothingies Doctor A
If only one: Doctor A

2 Likes

I’m going to throw Dreadbox Typhon into the mix. While the reverbs and delays can’t be used simultaneously, there are a bunch of other FX that can be used alongside either, such as various distortions, resonant digital high-pass filter, resonant analog low-pass filter, chorus, ensemble, phaser, the list goes on. Plus there is plenty of modulation in the form of LFOs, random with probability, step sequencing, etc. And it has Din midi and USB. I’m getting one to pair with DT, so I can let you know how it goes if you’re interested.

Enjoy Electronics Reminder.

6 Likes

Never heard of this one. Was probably for the better. :laughing:

1 Like

It’s pricey but it’s still on my radar. Almost pulled the trigger on this one a couple of months ago but I went for the CXM 1978.

2 Likes

Okay, it’s in that price range. I’m saved. :grinning:

Then again, I’ve already come a loooong way from my guitar playing days when I thought 150€ was the absolute max I’d pay for an fx unit.

3 Likes

GFI Specular Tempus

or Source Audio Collider

2 Likes

I found that the reverb on this unit doesn’t sound good at all but that’s my personal preference. Also the delay lacks character (if you’re searching for an analogue style delay be it tape or bbd, you won’t be happy with this one).
Great looks but overall disappointing, in my opinion.
Here’s the sound demo I did for bonedo synthesizers. Maybe you find it useful.

3 Likes

I agree that the Reverb is not the strongest feature on this unit. It can give you a first stage of space depth, though. I wasn’t looking at this device as an Analog, Tape or BBD Delay, for that, I’m covered. I was looking at this device to complement my arsenal of Delays. Thanks for taking the time to post your personal experience on this pricey unit.

1 Like

Sure thing! And I’m absolutely convinced that the Reminder will find its fans. It just didn’t speak to me, although I really wanted to like it.

1 Like

Cheers for the suggestion, I actually was using a Typhon to process the SubH for a while but ended up missing it’s synth voice. I did consider buying a second Typhon for this use, but I’m not sure the typhon’s effects suit the SubH enough to justify this. The sound the Subh produces is very full - it mainly misses space and rhythm, not distortion or depth (which it kind of does itself), and as you mentioned, it’s not what I’m looking for with the delay and reverb being on the same FX slot.

I’ll definitely be interested in how it suits you as an effects unit for your DT.

1 Like

This looks a nice unit but so expensive.

@Tchu do you like the machine?

My knowledge of this device is based on YT videos. I never tried one.

I like the Reminder delay a lot. I enjoy building rhythmic patterns and cranking up the feedback to 100% when I find something I like and then messing with the filters as it plays. Really fun to use it this way with the Subharmonicon!

I was initially bummed on the reverb harshness, but have learned it can sound great when used very subtly

1 Like

I’m a convert to EQ pedals. There are some really cool ones, and its nice to have it seperate to configure/knob twiddle, pre or post, maybe add a bit of drive etc. I reckon a stymon el cap, neunaber immense, and then a boutiquey EQ/Filter like death by audio, walrus, fairfield for some additional character/colour. You can get a cheaper/simpler digital delay as well if you are using something else for color. The cool thing about the el cap is it has a looper which will degrade over time. Most pedal eqs will be mono so you would want that pre the delay and reverb, which would create a really nice stereo feel.

I would really like to hear that combo.

This.