Did Elektronauts become "british" these days?! :-D

BmlTo4OLuE5m

1 Like

I fart in your general direction!

2 Likes

I think I’ll watch Trainspotting tonight and relive the mid '90s.

As an American, it’s amazing to me that so much has music has come from the UK because the houses are so close to each other. How did/do so many people practice and make music without pissing off their neighbors?

4 Likes

Can’t speak for the British but my hope is that I throb the neighbors out of bed.

1 Like

You’ve it the wrong way round, we want to piss off our neighbours so start bands and practise loud as fuck.

2 Likes

Hasn’t that problem been “solved” by going after nightlife?

I’m hitting the Guardian UK edition page several times a day now. I’m sorry for those of you for whom this isn’t just a spectator sport.

4 Likes

No guns. So we dont give a shit.

3 Likes

With a sincere apology. Received with a sincere apology back, for complaining :rofl:

1 Like

This is brilliant, the EMF/IMF pun drop makes me laugh every time.

9 Likes

Out of curiosity, any people here who live in England do you see yourself as English or British?

Both.

I’m non-binary when it comes to nationality.

3 Likes

Cornish & European. I would be happy to become Scottish (with a typical English arrogance that they would take me), if they ever break away.

4 Likes

I struggle to identify as British because to me Britian is a collection of territories that have distinct cultures and values, I’d much rather identify as European or Earthen - why stop at the island borders.

I think regardless of how I’d identify myself other people would have no trouble identifying me as English, which brings me the appropriate amount of shame.

4 Likes

Yorkshire, Northern, English, British, European - all of those, I guess… But also none of them really.

I find slapping labels on myself weird in general so tend not to do it if at all possible.

2 Likes

Personally I see myself as an individual influenced by different cultures but wouldn’t see myself as a certain nationality just because I’m born there.

I’m asking because it was a conversation I had earlier in the week in relation to people living in Northern Ireland and it seems people here are more obsessed with their british identity than people in England. I see more Union Jack flags here in one estate than across some towns or cities when visiting family and friends in England.

In my country there are those who strongly identify as Irish and those who strongly identify as British. Ready to fight for those identities. I guess if pushed I would see myself as northern Irish which I see as a mix of both.

What I like about here and some forums is that lack of national identity and everyone is just people who post shit I find interesting from all round the world.

One positive the internet has brought us, global communities

5 Likes

I’ve never personally fully understood patriotism/nationlism. I understand tribalism and our desire to belong to a group of likeminded people, but national borders have always seemed sort of arbitrary to me, and what makes Britain ‘Great’ will be very different things to very different people. To complicate things I think it’s often tied to some questionable beliefs about genetics and race.

I’m proud of the NHS, our multi-cultural centres, our track-record with animal welfair and that we have really nice woodland. But that’s not what the people that voted for Brexit care about, and they’re FIERCE about protecting Britishness - their version of which would be unidentifiable to the generation before, and forgotten by the generation after.

9 Likes

I guess this is a much more specific and complicated situation than over here on the ‘mainland’ - over there history created sides for people to fall on and there must be all kinds of social dynamics with it.

2 Likes