Digitakt - Direct Monitoring (Audio)

Yeah that’s true but they also advertised the DT with its ability to act as a sound card which I think is why people would think you should be able to get a stereo pass through. Not a big deal for me as I just send mono signals into it anyways but hopefully DT gets some straight up audio processing in the future with optional stereo input.

2 Likes

How much sense would the promise that DT will work as an audio interface (when OB arrives) make, if it physically can’t process stereo ins? An audio interface that only accepts mono input, really?

I know nothing, but I’ll be surprised if updates don’t give it the ability to monitor stereo in, and maybe even use DT effects on the input.

1 Like

New to this Forum, and had a Digitakt for 2 days…

My plan also was to monitor my Akai sampler, OR Roland JD-Xi, or SH01a in stereo through the Digitakt as a simple Synth and Digitakt, all monitored through the Digitakt…

But now hearing that the monitor input (of another synth) is mono??

I would be disappointed if this is true? I wanted one other synth, and play through the Digitakt with its left/right inputs connected. I know the Digitakt samples in Mono, but please tell me it monitors through the inputs in Stereo?

I am seeing a lot of disappointed users talking about this, as they have to buy a mixer to just use a synth and the digitakt!

These posts were a few months old, so am hoping that it has been updated in an OS update?

I upgraded yesterday to 1.10 if that helps?

its a little deceiving with those left/right inputs huh

its mono I’m afraid, the only work around will be to pan the mono inputs in overbridge/daw when its available…

What little portable audio interface will be suited for stereo monitoring?

Got my DT last and just found out you can’t monitor inputs through the FX which is a pain if I just want a headphone jam with my BS2. It encouraged me to make my first sample, the modulate it, then retrig, then adjust microtiming etc. Never really got into the “restrictions fuel creativity” mode until now!

1 Like

Hey guys.

I think I all ready know that the answer is, but just want to make sure:

When you monitor the inputs through the device, are the mono inputs send to the output through the compressor? Or DIRECTLY to the output?

Thanks!

Direct.

1 Like

Hi all,

So say I would like to use the DT as a 2in2out audio interface, will I be able to monitor the OP-1 directly in stereo? If not, is this a hardware issue or something that could be implemented in a future soft/firmware update?

Thanks in advance!

The Digitakt only monitors in mono. I really hope Elektron will add the way the Digitone handles audio in to the Digitakt. It’s kind of a bummer the Digitakt can’t be used as a small mixer when connected up to say an iPad.

3 Likes

Sometimes I wonder if these things are deliberate design decisions or accidental omissions. I’m a big fan of Elektron devices but sometimes I don’t understand the rationale behind their feature set. A small, relatively portable Midi sequencer without the means to pass through audio just doesn’t seem like a great idea.

3 Likes

To be fair to them, it does pass thru audio. Just mono haha. I really like how they did it on the Digitone.

That sucks. A 2in2out mono audio interface…

You reckon this is something they could remedy with a firmware / software update?

They could, but the bigger question is; will they.

As an interface, it can work in stereo for sure. Although the inputs sum to mono inside of the DT (and internally any sampling will also be mono), when you’re using the DT as your interface with Overbridge, it sends the L/R inputs unprocessed to two different tracks (11/12). So if you’ve split your OP-1 L/R channels out, you can maintain the stereo signal recording in your DAW.

2 Likes

Lets bomb them with feature request for this :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey, so does that mean that I can monitor the OP-1 in stereo as long as I’m using a DAW to split the channels?

Yep! With Overbridge mode on, in Ableton when my DT is set as an ASIO device, for audio tracks I get external inputs 1/2 (the master output of the DT) and inputs 11/12 (the left input/right input of the DT passed through) available. Set two audio tracks in your DAW to 11 and 12, hard pan them left and right respectively, and now when you monitor back in the DT, you’ll get your stereo ins (I actually use two different synths mono in my inputs, but I just re-affirmed that changing the panning in Ableton is reflected back when monitoring through the DT). You should just make sure that you aren’t monitoring “twice” by also monitoring L/R on the DT through the sampling interface.

4 Likes

I messaged the support and they’re “thinking about it”:

But yeah doesn’t hurt to send some more messages!

In the meantime I bought a Mackie 802 mixing desk but it’s a bit of a shame and I would have been glad to save the money and the space…

6 Likes

I mentioned this in another thread back in Sept 18 for exactly the same reasons people are now requesting this here - I want this too. I am still convinced there was a time before an update when LR monitoring was actually stereo and not summed to mono - there is no other reason why I would have set it up as such >

Nobody replied - the thread went dead.