Digitakt vs Octatrack (finishing songs)

I think for now, that’s what I want to try…

I would like to avoid spending hours and hours to do simple arrangement tasks, if I could get it done in minutes. Even on the OP-Z, which is quite fast in it’s workflow, arrangement still is too slow for me.

1 Like

None of the above.
( I own DT, OT and a computer with ableton)

What makes me finish songs quicker is me. My choices, my work flow, my goals, my methods. Gear comes second. Hardware gets me there faster because I’m just wired like that, I dont like computers.

Make a track. Record it. Done. Move on to the next one. What gear you use is irrelevant.

4 Likes

It doesn’t really take hours upon hours on the OT, it’s the same as in DT. You make your different patterns and then program how many times and in what order you want them to play. The song arranger works like an old school tracker, it’s very straight forward and quite powerful.

1 Like

I think the main draw for me in the Octatrack is being able to play with live buffers (like the tape track on the OP-Z). really nice for a half-time effect…I sure would like that feature of the OT…as well as Scenes of course.

basically I would miss:
-Scenes
-Slicing
-Live mangling

and would gain:
-fast workflow
-connectivity
-money

1 Like

Okay. But then still no multitrack export for further editing…

If you don’t resample the different tracks into a single track, you can just connect your OT to your computer and transfer the wavs to your DAW. There’s no overbridge, but it’s not hard to go from working on the OT to a DAW if you’ve prepared your song with that in mind.

I think you’re selling the OT a bit short. IMO you would also lose the ability to resample & play back longer parts of the song and the song arranger.

1 Like

true, I didn’t mean to include everything.
I just meant the things I personally would like to have. Of course there are many more things in the OT, but I don’t see a need for myself.

Although I must say…I REALLY see the allure of live-mangling

I think I am just tired of slow workflows and workarounds. I see the fun of making something in a self-contained device…but all too often, I would love to have the multitrack available…quickly.

1 Like

That’s the thing, the OT isn’t slow. It’s faster than a device that capable should be. It’s complex, but once you get a hang of it everything is 1-2 key presses away and you can work it with muscle memory pretty much. You don’t need to really menu dive once you’ve set it up, just press the buttons to choose what you want to do and twist the knobs or work the slider to get stuff done. As such the workflow once set up is close to a knob per function device.

2 Likes

I see your point…
but in my opinion some devices invite you to keep things simple and therefore make things quicker. They just click with you in a way something else might not.

A guitarist might be a good guitarist, but it doesn’t mean he’s gonna do the same on a piano. Or enjoy the piano the same way…

Huh? OT and DT are more like guitar and bass. A great guitarist is most definitely a good bass player, too.

Weak analogy .

Just pick one. Play with it. Lust for the next one. Play with that. Repeat.

Thats the reality of it.

“full songs” here is an undefined term. What’s a full song?

If you wanted to, you could probably make a “full song” on any of these devices. People do it with just a guitar, or just a piano, or just a recorder, all the time.

2 Likes

True…

I guess I will have to buy and see. I would like to be done with that game soon though :slight_smile:

You’ve said enough on this thread to tell me that you’d probably get a lot out of using the Digitakt.

Yes, the OT is amazing, but you are going to need to give it six months to really figure it out, whereas you can be up and running with what you want to be doing pretty quickly with the Digitakt.

5 Likes

Thanks, that’s what I needed to hear!

The OT can come later…

Shouldn’t we all aspire to riding without training wheels? To swim without a trainer? To make full songs with the OT?

1 Like

Off topic, but I really disagree here. From my experience in jam sessions, most guitarist really overdo it when they are given a bass guitar :rofl:

1 Like

For sure, as a bassist I totally agree. Guitarists go straight for the Seinfeld theme.

It’s not a perfect analogy, but works if you consider which would you rather make a full songs with? It’s possible with both, but for some reason solo bass works aren’t that common.

It’s two halves of a song put together.

2 Likes