Digitakt vs Octatrack (finishing songs)

Well that is a surprising ending , what a twister (-just read the thread from beginning to end; some very funny and some useful moments).
I’m an OT diehard but could of sworn DT was for you and your boom bap.
Good luck :cowboy_hat_face::+1:
But what brought you to this?

1 Like

Well… having used the Digitakt for a few days was enough to realize that I can’t be dealing with workarounds for simple sample slicing. The workarounds will take up more time in the end then setting up a project on the OT. Also I am enough of a gear junkie to be fairly confident to be able to learn the OT and I came to realize more and more nice things I could do with the OT.
I am also not completely one of those BoomBap fanatics, I do like to experiment and let the sound lead me sometimes even in non hip hop territories :slight_smile:
I am glad though that my little journey here was entertaining to you!
Let’s see what the next few miles will bring….

4 Likes

Sorry for answering to my own thread again, but maybe someone will stumble upon this thread while looking to buy a DT or OT.

Firstly, I have owned maaany samplers (AKAI MPC 500, 1000, 2000xl, 2500, S2800, Zoom Sampletrak, PO-33, OP-Z, OP-1, Digitakt, Akai S20, SP202,303,404sx…)

After a week with the Octatrack I can say that I much prefer it to the Digitakt…
most importantly, it’s not as difficult as many people make it out to be. I could find my way around rather quickly thanks to various great YouTube tutorials. If you do a week of intense tutorial watching, you can get the hang of most basic functions, if you are already familiar with samplers in general…from there, the manual will help you (PDF version + search function).

In terms of workflow many people say the limitations of the Digitakt make it fast to work with. I usually like limitations too, but with the Digitakt they just annoyed me, when trying to make more than just a drum pattern. With the Octatrack I can get my ideas in to the machine much quicker, with less workaround…I can quickly capture an idea with a pickup machine to catch the live feel, overdub if necessary (which is nice if you can’t play complex phrases in one go, like me). The sequencer of course is wonderful to work with and live recording a track, while slicing it up on another track is just phenomenal. It also just plays so well with other gear and as many others have said, is such a great main hub that can serve many purposes.
Proper sample chopping is a must for me and the DT workarounds are meh.
Also the Octatrack sound is completely fine :wink: the FX as well, I rather like them. I don’t think the FX should be a reason someone chooses the Digitakt over the Octatrack.

If you like the limited Drummachine sampler workflow of the Digitakt, go for it.

If you want the sampler to end all samplers, get the Octatrack.
Amen

4 Likes

LOL

1 Like

Stylistically, probably not :slight_smile: But technically speaking a great guitarist can play bass no problem. Sadly it doesn’t work the other way round, I would love to be even a bad guitarist.

Having played with many great guitarists and bass players over the years, in my experience this just isn’t true.

If by “play”, you mean they know where the notes are on the fretboard? Sure, ok.
But, finger technique, groove, pocket, space, these aren’t things most guitarists can conjure at will, just because they play guitar.

If you know any great drummers, ask them who they’d rather have playing bass…

-sorry for hijacking the thread everyone, carry on

1 Like

They know where the notes are, they have sufficient left hand technique to play basslines (usually too rigid and busy, but a great guitarist can nail a basic rock bassline easy). They have sufficient pick technique, often really great pick technique for bass. Stuff like palm muting etc. is much more commonly used with guitar than bass. Again, most likely too busy and their foundation isn’t in rhythm and harmony, more in melody but it’s not always a bad thing, there are lots of great bass players who basically play rhythm or lead guitar on bass. Carol Kaye and Greg Lake to name two were both great guitar players before switching to bass.

Irrelevant, really. AS a bass player I’d guess the answer is, who fits the music better? Some versions of guitar and bass mix the border so much that it’s up to the player to decide whether their playing bass or guitar. Baritone guitars for example, started out as 6-string bass but was embraced by guitarists.

Technically playing one really well gives you a basis for the other. In the case of guitar, being great at it gives you enough to be good at bass. This is a fact proven by the multitude of great, legendary bass players who started as guitar players and transitioned to bass, often developing a style that owes as much to their skills with guitar as to their skills with bass.

For example, the great 90s rock band Swervedriver lost their bass player and drummer after their first album, so the two guitarists recruited a session drummer and one of them played bass on the album. It’s a really great album with very memorable basslines, that to me often sound more like guitar leads. Great album that would not be the same if they’d had a bass player in the band more interested in rhythm and harmony than melody!

Okie dokie
:ok_hand:

Sure thing, squirt