Digitakt vs. Octatrack

Right, I sold mine before the 1.3 update. At that point it had been years since release and marketing had been since the beginning that the DT can be used as a sound card, which they added last year. But yeah, it’s a cool feature and definitely something you can’t do with the OT.

1 Like

Yeah, I feel like I picked up my Digitakt at the exact right time. I wasn’t even considering it until I tried the Model: Samples. So by the time I had made the switch and was getting good and comfortable the 1.3 update came and added most of the features I wanted. Sadly no sample slicing.

On a side note, as far as granular stuff goes, I’ve got a little trick that I haven’t worked out all the kinks for but I’ve been messing around with off and on. I think it would work on the Octatrack too. I’m assuming that you can do MIDI loopback.

For whatever reason, the way the LFO works on the Digitakt you can modulate the start point but if you set your sample to loop it’s not going to keep looping. It’ll just stop. And it doesn’t work at all in reverse.

So what I did was send some of the MIDI tracks back around and had them modulating the start point so that it scans through the sample and then I set the samples to loop with a random LFO on the length. Some are playing in reverse some are playing forward. The sample was a note from my Uno synth. I played it along with it to fake that this was some effect on the incoming signal or something. And then I just played around with it.

2 Likes