Digitakt with Maschine?

That’s a tease :open_mouth: - do you have any more info on this?

The potential prospect of Maschine 3 being standalone is why I’ve been holding out on upgrading for so long.

Oh yes OLEDS would be super nice. I’m occasionally tempted by a push but it’s got so much crossover there’s no point reinventing the wheel currently.

@Citizen at one point there was a line that mentioned “standalone mode” in the code somewhere but NI denied it as something they played round with the idea of that never made the cut. the tweet suggests otherwise I guess. That’s all the info I’ve got unfortunately. Imagine if standalone came in an update :hushed: realistically though they’d be insane to not sell it as a new device. I imagine someone smart has looked inside a maschine to see what’s inside it so I wouldn’t bet on that.

1 Like

Hey guys, although the discussion here went to a different direction, if you could assist with something that has to do with the original post I’d appreciate this.
I’m sequencing DT using Maschine 3, and for some reason it seems I can send CC messages just to the 1st 4 DT tracks. I must be missing something and would appreciate some pointers.
Thanks!

Hi,

Shualilko, did you solve your problem ?
Is it just for cc or can’t you send midi note as well ?

Hey - so after consulting with a NI rep, he actually showed me hot to re assign Maschine to be able to send those to all tracks.
It’s simply a limitation of the Maschine that one needs to bypass be re assigning all Cc pages…

Sorry if I missed this. But is it possible to put samples slices in Maschine on a keyboard roll so that you can play them on a DT in Chromatic mode?

Comparing Maschine to the Digitakt is like comparing a Ferrari Monza to a Fiat 500.

1 Like

So the Maschine is the Ferrari? Or the Digitakt? would you say

Machine is infinitely more powerful than the DT, especially if you intend to write full instrumentals.

Yeah true. I feel you.

Sometimes you want an old reliable and brutal Land Rover Defender sometimes the latest version of a modern and sophisticated BMW X5.

I love both, my DT and M+ :wink:

1 Like

The last few days I’ve been thinking about this combo. At the moment I just have Maschine MK3, after selling the myriad of other gear I’ve tried in the last 18 months.

Maschine was the first thing I consistently used, outside of Ableton, and I thought I knew it quite well. I had no idea how useful P-Locks and Scene morphing etc could be, or that it could even do it, and it probably took my experiences with Elektron devices to open up my eyes to using them.

In other news… I’m really starting to feel a bit like there is a gaping hole in my setup now. Physically and spiritually(?) - I feel I must there must be a glorious Elektron presence in my studio room once more, when funds allow.

I’m surprised, as I convinced myself otherwise when selling, but DT seems to be what I’m missing the most. I cycled though everything but the models and a RYTM, and Syntakt/Octatrack felt like the ones I’d regret the most. But maybe I shouldn’t be so surprised… I like samplers more than synths for the most part.

Anyway, I started sitting with the idea of pairing Maschine and DT. I read through this thread (I knew there would be an Elektronauts one at the top of the google search results lol), and it all feels very lukewarm to the idea on the whole. It seems that is mostly because of overlap in functionality, which I can kind of understand.

But I can see a number of beneficial workflow ideas forming in my mind:

The ability to plock on both - DT, in normal internal sequencing anyway, doesn’t like you setup delay and reverb changes per step (at individual track level), like you can all the other step parameters. You are also limited to mostly Delay and Reverb, as send effects. I often was frustrated with DT by this as I do use delay and reverb as insert effects a lot. With overbridge in Maschine, you can definitely Plock your steps with insert effects of your choice, with much more scope that simply within DT, and there is nothing to stop you resampling those back in.

Mono vs Stereo sampling. I know it’s not that much of a deal breaker due to being able to add stereo field within the DT, but I had some issues. I like using film/tv audio in my beats, and quite often when sampling stuff I was interested in (passages containing a mixture of foley, melody, speech etc), it wouldn’t translate well to being summed to mono. Drums however, I want my central drums to be in mono, so no issue there. So having the ability to chose the most appropriate whilst making a song seems a great workflow.

That also leads to having all the great sound design and sequencing you can do within the DT, but also, the ABSOLUTE GODSEND OF ABILITY TO HAVE A CHOP SAMPLES IN A CLASSIC MPC STYLE! and incorporate.

Also - Maschine sequencer is pretty fucking basic. Having the option of different time divisions and Polyrhythms running.

There are the main things I’ve been thinking about when trying to imagine these things functioning as one organism/environment. I know it’s not a popular discussion given the post count, but I just thought I’d throw some other perspective in given the fact the swing-o-meter seems to be leaning towards ‘nah - not worth it’. I don’t actually know how much it is yet, unless I test it.

Also just bouncing ideas from maschine to DT, and vice versa, seems good. So if something isn’t working on maschine, you can sample some of it into DT and take it on the road, to the couch, and likewise try and make something more of a DT beat needing inspiration and a few more tools.

You know…

I might be talking myself into this :stuck_out_tongue: