Digitone DX7 Fm Soundpatches?

I can’t think of a way to automate translating a DX7 patch to the DN. But it’s definitely possible to do manually with an understanding of FM and reasonably deep knowledge of the DN.

There are four major hurdles.

First is the lack of ops. The DN only has four. When you just need more ops (as is the case with, say, a 6 carrier organ patch) this can be overcome by layering tracks (see the Voice menu). But many times the DX7 is using groups of two ops just to make a triangle- or square-like wave. The DN can often replicate this without layering by using the harmonics control on synth page one.

Algorithms. This is the biggest problem. With more ops you have more ways to combine them! Most of this can also be handled by layering multiple DN algos and hard panning one of them X or Y, but sometimes it just doesn’t work out. The right hand side of dx7’s algo 7 can almost be imitated by the DN’s algo 1, for instance, but the feedback is on the wrong op. In fact, most of the mismatches come down to differing feedback loops. In practice, I haven’t found this to be a problem. Feedback in the DX7 is often wielded as a club rather than a scalpel, and addition of harmonics or distortion on the DN can make up for it.

Envelopes. The DX7 has a really complicated (and awesome) EG, but it usually comes down to being a two-stage decay — fast then slow or slow then fast. Thankfully the DN has two LFOs that can be set to single trigger mode, have a fade in/out, and can mod op levels (even the same op level for really complex curves). This works great, though with only two LFOs per track, I sometimes have to layer tracks just to get more LFOs :frowning:

DAC. The DN sounds really good, but there’s something about the DX7 converters that are just a product of their time. This, imho, is the #1 thing that makes people say its FM sounds “different”. It’s not the FM at all, it’s the converters.

And there’s no button or knob to fix this on the DN. I usually route mine through an old Midiverb II and I feel like that adds something, but we’re in highly subjective territory of “warmth” and “color” here. Just know that even if your patch is perfect, you may still want to do some post processing to get the sound to where you want it.

4 Likes

I don’t think it’s worth it. Even dx7 patches imported to fm8 sound pooh.
The strength of the dx7 lies within its character. The DAC’s are nothing special, but the internal processing is all 12-bit. And there’s somthing very special about the way it modulates pitch.
The envelopes sound great.
I don’t know, the dx7 sounds like a weird analog synth or sonething.
The digitone sounds totally different

• all three synths mentioned in this post are great synths though :wink:
1 Like

yeah; i knew that wasnt possible. was looking for a synth that did allow that.
DX7 prices are insane here in NL… also browsing for TG802’s etc.
PreenFM might be more in line in budget; but the info only is limited.
I know ie. that it doesnt translate DX7 patches well in all cases due to being REAL FM opposed to Modulation as the DX7 is. But if it can come close to the lush piano’s and brass sounds… Im down.

Also read about the Zynthian just now, but thats even less documented.

I would just get a DX7. In a few years they’ll be even more expensive and you’ll probably regret buying one. They will only go up in price. The build quality of these is absolutely out of this world. They feel like they’re made of WW2 tank materials :). It’s also easy to open the lit and check for bulging capacitors.
The keyboard action is absolutely stunning. It’s a great instrument :+1:t3:
You can find them anywhere between 400 and 700 in the Netherlands

Yeah, I guess. The TX7 is so small in features that a dx7 is the only logical option.

Also eyeing a TG77…

I noticed i can load easy fm7 patches to my waldorf iridium. Would be cool to have that feature in the digitone. Its a good starting point to work with when you are not an FM Synthesis expert. It would be sound quite different cause digitone have less OPs but that doesnt matter :wink:

As far as I’m aware, there’s no ability or functionality within the Digitone to work with sysex patches from any other synths.

The FM7 was specifically designed to work with Yamaha sysex patches, it was one of its main selling points, the same goes for the volca FM. I presume the designers of the Iridium also designed the FM synth with sysex compatibility in mind.

The digitone, however is so completely different that it barely resembles any other FM synth in its structure. Yes, it’s a four operator FM synth, but the way the algorithms are set up is unique, as is the cross-fading between the two sides. Also, the Digitone doesn’t have an envelope per operator and the envelopes it does have are different to those in most other FM synths. The ability to fix operator frequencies, control over break points and many other parameters are also just not available in the Digitone.

Sysex means system exclusive, as in only operable in a designated system, so there is no way of making other synths’ sysex operable in the Digitone without turning the Digitone into a completely different synthesizer. Basicslly, sysex compatibility isn’t a coincidence, it has to be a core part of the design.

3 Likes

There’s one in Alkmaar currently, but it’s quite beaten up. But fully functional. Asking price is 400. It’s listed on Marktplaats punt nl

1 Like

I own a DX7 II as well as a TX7, but really like Dexed, I know it is not hardware but first of all it sounds really close to a DX and secondly you can use it as an editor for DX synths… and librarian too… there is also an iPad version but I never tried that

1 Like