Digitone or Digitakt with Syntakt?

This sound pack certainly has plenty of great examples to prove your point.

3 Likes

I think DT is indispensable, for obvious reasons, this is a unique sampler and with 8 midi tracks, it can be safely the brain of the whole dawless setup. Therefore, I would not even think about changing it to any of this. Digitone or Syntakt? digitone. $ 1000 is the price of a full-fledged polyphonic synthesizer, and you can’t even play full-fledged chords on it. 12 tracks? what to do with them :slight_smile: 4 of them are analog but I would not say that this is a big advantage, not being able to fully arrange or work with samples :slight_smile:

I think there’s a lot of good wisdom in this thread.
Some thoughts:

I decided I’m going to try the Digitone + Syntakt combo… and then move from Digitakt to Model:Samples. I realized I definitely wanted the DN’s polyphony, with ST’s machine synthesis. I never used the DT to its full potential as a sampler so I let go and acquired a M:S for very cheap. Just used the DT for occasional samples to put in and the Model: Samples simplicity and accessibility seems to do that. I appreciate its limits and one knob for function setup. I don’t rely on samples as much as synthesis. Maybe I’ll regret this. I don’t know, but I’ll let you all know once I can finally order one. For now, I’m enjoying my DN + M:S combo as a new way of scaling back.

Also, I think some people seem to really be set on the fact that something without polyphony is inferior? I don’t know where this is coming from. There are a million amazing monophonic synths out there. Why is everyone turning on the Syntakt for this reason? We talk about limitations helping creativity, and I don’t know if you would call a 12 part (analog+ digital machines) synth limited

When the DT came out, people were panning it for its clear “inferiority” to the OT, but I don’t think that’s out there anymore. People have discovered what it is, and they like it. I think the same will be with the ST. I think people were expecting the ST somehow to be so superior to all the other boxes that they’d become obsolete maybe? It was just meant to be another addition in the family that finds its own unique space in relation to the others.

4 Likes

I’ve seen the same GAS rationalization from other users. Talk about asceticism, keeping things simple, while acquiring more and more gear.

What is wrong with the DT/DN combo? Of the 3 boxes, those two seem to me the two most suited to one another.

3 Likes

I highly support this comment, the filter and drive section is what warms up, sculpts and “analogizes” the DN sound IMHO, and that was the main point why I decided to get Digitone: I love FM synthesis but I rarely saw FM synthesizers with a LP/BP/HP filter built in.

Now back to @crevice’s dilemma.
I did took a look at Syntakt when it came out, super cool, lots of options, but for my needs one point was crucial and it’s missing on this device: POLYPHONY.
That’s something I would have loved to see on the Syntakt and I draw the conclusion that for me DN is a better choice (if I need a mono-synth I can “fake it” with DT or I own also a Model:Cycle).
So if polyphony is important to you, I would rather stay with the Digitone for the time being.

Another point: if you are into sound design, the Digitone may offer more parameters, fine tuning, and a wider/deeper sound palette.
But sometimes having less parameters to mess with can be inspiring as well (as often limitations push you to find new workflows and tricks how to make music).

just to circle back and to contradict my earlier statement, I have reduced a lot of my gear in the past week - probably by 5 synths/drum machines. My setup feels a lot cleaner and productive and because of this and after thinking about it and hearing a lot of you, I am probably going to keep all 3. I dont want to get into the spot where I remove one just do it and then down the line re-buy or want to rebuy something I already have and familiar with. The point of reducing is to be able to focus - not about money or anything else. Since I am very familiar with the Elektron workflow, its not as daunting as learning something completely different. I also think there is a point where you reducing too much can be counter productive as you just start GASing for other things.

7 Likes

Under the circumstances I don’t think you will regret keeping the Tiny Trinity.

1 Like

I think you’ve made the right choice.

The tiny takty trinity :wink:

2 Likes

I was thinking along these lines as well recently

Owning several Elektron boxes is not too different from owning one. You can learn them all and get more well defined options for the mental price of one-ish.

Been thinking about making it easy to transport the whole gang, if I decided to make and perform a bunch of stuff on-device. Nobody would care if you swap out a box in between sets or songs. Same thing as in the studio. Nobody’s watching to make sure you only use a single fixed rig. Nobody cares if you get crazy productive with a dynamic duo for a while either.

I think we were conditioned to rely on singular fixed things culturally…

Indeed! I remeber when I got DN, I was already using DT at least since one year. So it took me few seconds to familiarize with the synth. Menu diving and general architure on these device is very similar if not the same. So I think familiarizing with ST shall be a joke.

I had this same situation and sold the Digitakt to fund the Syntakt. Haven’t gotten the Syntakt yet, but since I have a Deluge/OP1/OPZ, I can use any of them for playing samples, so I think I still have everything covered. I had alot of overlap in my gear so unloading the DT made sense…even though it was painful. haha

1 Like

yeah, I get my sytankt today and will make my final choice in the next few days. If I do get rid of one, it will prob be Digitakt since I have a bitbox micro in my modular case. but I might just keep em all at this point depending on how I feel

After release of Syntakt I started getting GAS for DN

2 Likes

Until I received my Syntakt yesterday I would’ve immediately said the Digitone would be my choice.
But, having played with the ST for a while it makes me appreciate how much I like the Digitakt.

I know it’s easy to say, but the 3 of them together are fantastic, and really complimentary to each other.

The 3 machines together, in quite a small footprint, give you 24 tracks of everything you’d ever need (not counting the extra 12 midi tracks you can get from the DT and DN).

2 Likes

Glad to have found this post lots of great information here guys, thanks.

I’m actually building a new hybrid setup right now and the combinations outthere are a maze nowadays (which in a way is great).

About the setup I’m thinking about:

i) Syntakt -> Beats (nobrainer here)

ii) About the Digitakt:
-> Samples/Audio Loops/Ambiences/Vocals
-> Blofeld (Pads, Drones, Fx, Leads,… )
-> Novation Bass Station 2
-> Microfreak

Because Blofeld is a multitimbral synth, it can have 16 independent synth playing at the same time. Combining this with the sequencer of the DT opens a world of polyphonic possibilities in a small yet powerfull form factor while putting the DT at its full potential.

So this is the point where I’m kind of stuck where to go from now.

I love FM so the Digitone is an option.
Also I would like to have a small form factor modular synth like the 0-Coast for example or going for something more powerfull like Novation’s Peak.

Btw as I mentioned before this is an hybrid setup which means I’ll be using Ableton 10 as a mixer and FX, sends, global sampler processor (just like the OT but way more flexible in my opinion).

Here’s why:

• Can use Clyphx Pro to reset all parameters on the fly so I can mess with everything in the mixer while in live performance and with the click of a button reset everything to default (essential for building transitions).
    For mixing I’ll be using the LaunchControlXL powered with the Arsenal Script (thanks to the one and only legendary Stray which is why I still use Ableton in my workflow.)
    Same applies to using the iPad along with Touchable Pro for having a access to the full mixer, live’s sends devices and multifx devices.

• Since all Elektrons are coming into Live via Overbridge I can have all tracks individual being routed into live, so this means acess to Live’s sends.
    Using the Utility inverted phase trick you can have one of the sends to act as a sidechain for every single track, as for also having another send to act as a buffer to rout any or every track into a multifx send dedicated for live mangling FX (think of it like the OT Fx)

• Send pattern changes to every Elektron device at the same time when triggering a scene from Live.
    Scene changes can be pre programmed in Session View using Clyphx Pro which is way more fast and intuitive when wanting to arrange all patterns from different Elektron machines into a fully finished song.

Also any scene can have different global send FX that will change on the fly as soon as you move from one pattern to another or song to song.

Possibilities are endless…

Going back to where I was, if you have any ideas for cool small form factor synths/modular/fm or just weird glitchy gear (if they can can receive program changes better) and be sequenced from DT let me know. Thanks!

2 Likes

…the tiny trinity !?

is all it needs ?

ot users won’t be happy…

I own a Syntakt and Digitone. I hate managing samples so this was the obvious elektron duo for me.

ST is master clock and rhythm maker, DT adds softer sounds and melodic content. There are other devices in the setup but this is there basis.

1 Like