Digitone Tips and Tricks

1 Like

thats wonderful, thank you :clap:

Ello Nauts ! here are the two first YouTube shorts of a series of 10 containing Digitone quick tips taken from the mastering Digitone course.

Here’s how you can create a sawtooth wave.

Here’s how you can create a nice square wave.

Each Saturday a new one of these quick tips will be available on my channel. Enjoy!

16 Likes

Mixing/live tip i discovered for myself recently:

• instead of dialing in volume through track level, use VOL in AMP page.
    this allows you to use global track levels as performance effect.
    (without worrying about coming back to the pattern you changed PVOL in, if its too quiet or too loud now)

if you keep your VOL in reference to track level 100, you can easily do slow volume swells that persist between multiple patterns. :v:

2 Likes

Is there a way to skip to the bottom of the sound list when picking sounds? It’s a bit long to have to hold down [FUNC] + down

sound list is split up by 8 banks, and you can jump to any bank instantly. (BANK + white trigs)
from there it takes a second or two to go to the bottom of the list.

another tip is to order sounds by banks.
pads in one, drums in another, ect.
(i find it faster than tag filters, but those are still useful for narrowing down sounds by their qualities)

5 Likes

not sure if this is common knowledge, but I couldn’t figure out how to lock lfo start phase to beginning of a pattern and I’ve just figured it out, I wanted to understand how to achieve something like this:

the default track should have:

• on TRIG page the LFO.T set to be OFF
  • LFO MODE set to FREE
  • in VOICE menu REUSE to ON (this took me a while to find, without this it’s not working like I wanted)

then, the first trig should be locked to:

• LFO.T set to ON
  • LFO MODE set to TRG

now, every time I hit play the lfo is predictable and I can control where it starts from the START PHASE

worth mentioning that it only works with trigs, it does not work with ARP, it seems that ARP will just replicate the first trig all the time so every trig will be locked to the LFO.T and the LFO MODE…

8 Likes

I like this one.

you might have complicated things a bit here.
approach definitely works, but only for a monophonic line (because of reuse).

have you tried using POLY M.LFO play mode in sound settings + first step lfo trig only.
this should work with chords and arp, but i gotta try to make sure.

3 Likes

it works with poly as well as long as you set REUSE in the VOICE MENU and have the same amount of notes per trig, I’ve tried using 2/3 notes and it works.

now that you’ve mentioned POLY M.LFO in the SOUND SETUP menu I can see that the same can be achieved without having the REUSE set to ON and I can have different number of notes per trig!

thanks, couldn’t find this one!

2 Likes

I get pattern length synced LFO without changing anything on the trig page and just lock a free LFO to trig on step one.

With the arp I also cannot get the phase to start from 0.

1 Like

Does anyone have a similar tip for external inputs?
I’m kinda looking for a “gain” control, to normalise the L and R inputs to be the same level as internal synths, all at 100, then be able to use faders.

does the gear you plug into DN inputs have master volume?
i use master volume on my Blackbox as upper limit, while using pad volumes for mixing.
that way i can use DN external IN as performance fader.

1 Like

Yeah, albeit without numbers, hard to be consistent. Maybe I’ll use black tape to mark the standard point.

1 Like

I think it has already been said a thousand of times but today, I tried to use op A and B2 as LFOs. For this I let the ratios on 1 but I set the offset at -0.999 (So basically, the frequencies of the op become very very low). Then, I add some FM modulation but with the modulator very very low, you can clearly hear the wobble on the pitch, same as a standard LFO :slight_smile: Of course, it depends of the algorithm. To speed up this “LFO”, the offset needs to be increased.
With algorithm number 6, it’s quite interesting because you can set B2 Op as a standard LFO and A Op as a weird LFO by introducing feedback. It will create some nice glitchy noises.
If you disabled phase reset on all op, it can add some clicks and other noisy things.
I really love the sound of the MegaFM and BlastBeats from Twisted Electrons and with theses settings, the Digitone can sounds a little like a MegaFM !

11 Likes

Such a great interview. And subtitles makes it even better

1 Like

Never played with the dick attack of my Digitone. Gotta give it a try. Sounds a bit dangerous though.

2 Likes

maybe it’s already said but I found out another tip: if you hold the MIDI-button while turning one ore more parameters, (e.g. the filter and frequency and cutoff), it will take affect on all four synth-tracks. If you haven´t released the MIDI-Button yet and press NO, all changes will be set back to the state before you changed the parameters. Just like on the Digitakt with the TRK-button :slight_smile:

you mean CTRL ALL?
it affects any parameter, not only filter

1 Like

I mean hold the MIDI-Button to control all Tracks at the same time, yes. edited it - hopefully makes it more clear

1 Like