Do I need a Syntakt?

If I had any of the gear that you have, I wouldn’t have bought a Syntakt.

3 Likes

Do you need three analog mono synths, and/or analog kick drum, snare and cymbals?

Because that’s what the Syntakt can do that your other Elektrons can’t. More or less, and not at the same time necessarily.

That need I would probably try to fulfil with cheaper gear, like an Arturia Drumbrute Impact and a couple of Korg Monologues.

That said, I love my Syntakt and I think it’s a really nice little synth/drum machine. But no, you don’t need it.

2 Likes

This.

The other reason (and it’s what I use my SY for most) is if you want to have stand-alone box to play with. With its 12 tracks you can make full tracks just using it on its own so perfect for on the couch/in bed/sitting in garden in the sun etc.

5 Likes

And ambient. It’s wonderful for ambient, and the first soundpack for the Syntakt, Soft Spoken by Jogging House, is proof of that.

3 Likes

Syntakt + Analog Heat a killer combo.

4 Likes

You don’t need it, but despite its overlap with other recent elektrons, it is very much its own thing. I like that it’s good at drums and synths and has a lot of tracks. You can get more than the backboard of a song jammed out just on a Syntakt and keep your setup simple.

2 Likes

Well… to be perrrfectly honest here. I certainly didn’t realize exactly how much I needed one until I got one!
Had an Octatrack for a few months now, that I’m using at something like 5% of it’s potential, and I’m it could do the same things the Syntakt can do, and probably better. However… once you’re up on the workflow, the thing just sings, hard to pick it up without getting something satisfying and potentially self-contained out of it. Unlike my other ‘mixed’ synths, Organelle, OP-Z and MC-101, that are great at developing one or more sections, but usually need more work to get nicely polished parts, the Syntakt just flows and blends in smoothly with the other synths…
Trying to work it into the Octatrack’s CUE send/AB return, with a Blackbox after it, then back into the Octatrack, but this is proving to be a bit of a challenge. No overkill, eh…

1 Like