Drambo (iOS)

Couldn’t you just have multiple instances, since it’s auv3? Am I missing something? Why so much anticipation for individual outs?

I love drambo, but I need midi cc within AUM and also definitely need visual feedback on modulation. I can get round it with the midi cc module, but I’ve noticed for example if you link a controller to say one voice of a drum machine, the controller only works when you click on that voice ? If I’m on the kick for example and have the controller set to alter the snare I have to click on the snare first, bit annoying. Also scrolling around could be better implemented, but it’s still a great app.

1. I don’t want to host Drambo in AUM, coz AUM needs to be connected to AB3 to slave to midi clock / transport, even then sync is flaky.

2. Even if you could / can have multiple instances in Audiobus 3, switching between up to 14 tracks and 2 send tracks would = huge pain in the arse - I wouldn’t go there.

3. I want, one instance in AB3 with multiple outs to AUM audio inputs, or standalone to the four physical outs and / or multiple USB outs of my soundcard.

Fair enough, I haven’t seen any sync issues hosting it in Cubasis.

And with Cubasis slaved to clock and transport from a HW sequencer? No issues hosting in AUM if AUM is master.

Midi learn is on the way

2 Likes

How are exporting the audio? I can’t make drambo freeze and can’t work out how to do live takes. Thanks.

I just hope we get visual feedback with it so we can see what’s going on :+1:

I haven’t checked this but if you build something in drambo, say a drum machine and open it in AUM and then say you want an additional filter on one of the drums and add it while it AUM. If you save the AUM session does the drambo instrument save with the additions you have made and does the original drambo instrument stay the same if you open it in drambo ?

Well here’s my situation: I use Cubasis as the master clock. Cubasis acts as the auv3 host for Drambo. I have not tried to freeze the Drambo track, but it has no problem mixing down Drambo tracks so I don’t know where your issue is. hmmmm

I use Cubasis as the master clock, I think that is the only option. Is your HW sequencer unable to accept external clock?

Well, that’s the crux. No way Cubasis, AUM, or any other ios app spitting out sync/clock/ ttransport via an iConnectivity soundcard would be as stable/tight as a decent HW master clock (DIN > DIN direct - in my case OT) to four other HW devices in a live set up. (with midi through box - not daisychain). I wouldn’t waste the time to try your suggestion.

As I said above, from my first trials, a single instance of Drambo slaves well to OT clock/transport when hosted in AB3, Thus my anticipation for individual outs and the many options it promises in 3) of my first reply :wink:

Well first I’m not using an iConnectivity soundcard, I just have a usb cable going directly from the iPad to the Analog Keys. I’m not one to obsess over “tightness” but I’ve never heard this configuration go out of sync or show any signs of latency. It’s been rock solid for years, with the iPad running any combination of things.

The latency between hardware and iPad can be really present if the buffer size is more than 256 frames.
If you play pads or no rhythmic sound it’s OK.
But if I need to play some chirurgical drums on IPad I tend to stay at 128 frames.

Some apps has better MIDI sync than others.

Some apps are know to have SOLID MIDI sync.
On audiobus forum you can find topics about it.
:metal:

1 Like

Yes I am doing that too. But I can’t work out how to record live automations as cubasis only allows for mix downs- any ideas?

I have tried loading it into AUM, but I can’t seem to make AUM sync with cubasis unless I used Audiobus, which is getting kinda messy.

I don’t obsess, I just need three slaved devices - their sequencers, lfos, delays - to stay well in sync. If your USB slaved A4 syncs well enough for you, great. Doesn’t mean such a set-up will work for everyone.

I revisited my initial attempt to emulate the Monomachine architecture, and since I’ve never owned or had my hands on one, I concluded it was a silly venture to continue, so I just experimented with Drambo’s wonderful possibilities, upped the polyphony and tweaked. Check the 6 scenes / variations. I purposely didn’t add a reverb module so as to find some room / space without. Variations C and F and in between sound rather pretty - spacey string machine, if I may say so - could do with chorus. Hope someone likes it :slightly_smiling_face:

I like it! Forgive me, I’m not that good in Drambo. How do I change scenes?

press on the buttons on either side of the crossfader then select a pad (those red have scene changes),

1 Like

Yeah I’ve tried to record live automations on Drambo while hosting it in Cubasis, and my best guess is that it doesn’t work. I’ve tried to automate things like track mutes and it seems that info is not retained. I think they have to fix this.