Dreadbox Typhon

4.1 was released in 2021, however, it does not yet include MIDI CC out.
I’ve been contacting Dreadbox, and this was their reply (in January):

“Midi cc out for Typhon is on our plans for the next firmware update.
We are very busy indeed so it should be available around this summer.”

3 Likes

I have to confess I haven’t tested incoming MIDI :relaxed:
Thanks for the info.

1 Like

Same here. I surprise myself playing Typhon with no midi IN, just thrown the play button at the same time than my AR (Typhon is good for techno)
Same when playing it along with Evolver. Pushing play buttons at once and jam. It’s a very intuitive way of working, and sometimes, noticeable non-synced patterns creates nice sounding results.

3 Likes

Sorry for the necro bump. But are you still having this issue?

Finding myself constantly having to turn down the typhon during jams, as it hangs on notes so often when not in use.

Really want to sort this before my first gig with it in a months time

I realised it happens if I am tweaking MIDI sequencer information on the OT like note or a cc when the Typhon is playing. So when playing with pre-programmed stuff it never happened stuff and tweaking the Typhon or the thru track it never happened.

Ah man thanks for the info, but it happens to me all the time with the pre programmed stuff :grin:

Hello,

Can someone explain how I use the randomiser tool? Do I just connect the Dreadbox via USB to my PC to get it detected to use with this?

https://fletchjeff.github.io/typhon_randomiser/

I wish it had this built in.

Edit I think I have it working

Thanks

1 Like

Curios if anyone has found a Typhon under their seats on a plane a couple of years ago?
I may have left that and a Black Box under my seat.
Yes, I was devastated, and yes, I can’t let it go.
Yes, I’m an idiot.
I did contact the airline, and they were as much help as a condom in the Pope’s wallet.

8 Likes

Yep, that is pretty much the process. Any browser that can access USB midi devices should work. Lemme know if you get stuck.

1 Like

I’d like to connect my Typhon to my ipad and use it in the park with external power. I have a lightning adaptor, so connecting the Typhon to the ipad isn’t a problem, but the usb socket for an external power bank is being used to connect the Typhon to the ipad, so how do power the Typhon if the socket is already being used…? Power from the ipad isn’t enough. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

A lot of power banks have multiple usb connections for simultaneous power output, I’d recommend getting one of those. It’s worth it!

Thank you, but again, how would one connect a power bank to the Typhon if the usb output on the Typhon is occupied with the cable to the ipad. Cheers

Ah my mistake, I misunderstood. You might have to connect to the iPad via MIDI only, using a converter and the DIN outputs of the Typhon so that you can free up the USB connection on the Typhon for powering.

1 Like

Does your iPad have a USB-C port? I have an adapter that lets me connect USB-C to my phone and use all the ports on the adapter (some USB-A, HDMI etc) along with another USB-C port that lets me put power into my phone.

You could use a USB Power/Data Splitter like the one from Dreadbox:

or a powered USB Hub

2 Likes

thx for that link, that helps quite a lot , yeahhhhhhhhhhhh :blush:

i wish they are doing a new synth like the Typhon or a drum-machine

Thank you mate. I’ll look into that.

1 Like

Thanks Splonge, but my ipad has a lightning port…(

Thanks muomi. That looks like it could work…)