Dreaming of an "OctaTAKT"

…hope is was not a wet dream…

drems and reality…boothed and soberness…

let’s go with a “duatakt”…buy a second one and ur back in reality plus dreamland…

and in some next dream, u can picture urself as a octapus producer, with four limbs each to twiddle each takt that give birth to six albums in one big rush…

3 Likes

Nah, I think the Digis are already pretty capable in terms of sound design. I really like that they’re not as deep as A4. Putting more options there means you also feel like you have to use them, thus losing the immediacy of the Digis. Besides, DN is already quite deep I would say.

I think Elektron thought about the two-tier system I proposed, calculated it and came to the result that it’s not worth it. However, it seems a bit like they are slowly fading out their flagships and focus more on the digis. If this trend continues, two versions of the digis could make sense. Especially now that DNK seems to be out of production. But I think there’s a risk in offering different versions of a product by turning off potential customers that are confused and/or decision paralyzed on which version to get. Or making the “standard” version seem inferior. I think this works better if you only have one product, like Hydrasynth.

Get a second Digitakt?

2 Likes

I don’t think there’ll be any confusion. if they have ONE sampler in their line and then 2 versions of it, it makes sense but it’s not the Elektron way. I believe that the Digitakt can have 2-3 more sound design options like I mentioned, a ring-mod next to the bit-reduction for example, one more fx and MORE LFO’s. Imagine if I could modulate any fx parameter with an LFO. Using audio rates to modulate stuff, it can go DEEP.

What I’m saying is: I don’t want a 2nd Digitakt and I don’t want an Octatrack, I want a deeper Digitakt or a more focused on sampling Octatrack.

1 Like

Ok I can see that, but I feel like it wouldn’t really suit the streamlined DT approach. I feel that it’s okay to use additional equipment/software to achieve your goals.

I guess the main issue with my proposal of 2 versions, one having sliders or non-endless knobs is more complicated production. Right now Elektron is using the same knobs on all devices, with OT slider and AR pads being the odd exceptions. If they decided to go for a premium version using different parts, it would have to sell enough units across all Digi boxes to justify dealing with adding other parts that complicate production.

? OT is way more focused on sampling than DT.

Ready to record on any track with a button combo. You can sequence 8 recorders with defined length, play their recordings on the fly on any track, record in stereo, no fkn auto-normalize, a pretty good audio editor with values and not only a poor visual reference, 16 bit or 24 bit recording, quantize recording, overdub, recording with feedback…

What you want isn’t clear. Make a list of features and send it to Elektron and Santa-Claus. :content:

It takes more time to learn OT, but I feel more comfortable with it. I have more confusion with DIGIs, switching Mute / Grid Rec / Chromatic / Track trigs / Track Selection / Pattern Selection (with same colors)…with only a few buttons.

I think both are good and have their strengths, can complement nicely.

1 Like

There are no years of trying out on Octa.

The actual Digitak could probably do most of the new features you are looking if it had more processing power. I’m wondering if it could be possible for Elektron to release and sell a new processor that would upgrade the actual DT to the next level. But I guess it would involve soldering and this is not a solution I’d expect from Elektron.