Drone synths

I wish I can get one someday… It’s really a solid choice.

1 Like

Not what you’re asking for but I just got a little pocket AM/FM radio today that I plan on using as a noise/drone generator :stuck_out_tongue:

Found that I can get some modulation effects in AM by rotating and shaking it around, or moving it near other electronic gear. I think it will be interesting to sample live with the Octatrack. There’s a range of tones hidden away in the spectrum too, weird growls and whistles.

1 Like

The Maneco Grone Drone fits the bill. Algorithmic bleepy/tone synth on one side. Into a MS20 filter in the middle. Into Clouds on the other side. Can go from dreamy soundscape to industrial pretty easily. Clouds needs a bit of head-getting-around. But it sounds fantastic. And fits in your hand.

Edit: Here we go CYDONIA - YouTube (posted a couple of years back but worth highlighting again)

And a myriad of options here Small format drone synth

3 Likes

Nice one! I remember I’ve got one somewhere in my house. Gotta try.

Besides the Soma options, there’s the LD-2:

I’ve never had this specific model but am a big fan of JMT Synths.

2 Likes

Strega can get pretty big and also super noisy/gritty. For the lush soundscape part, you might want to add a reverb with a variety of options if you haven’t got one (or run it through DAW or plugins).

Pretty much anything can make a good drone if you try hard, believe in yourself, and use your imagination. :unicorn: :rainbow: :mage: That said, here’s a couple of wildcard options I haven’t tried but might be something a bit different from the usual suspects:

4 Likes

big fan of jmt synth; have several machines, even some semi-custom made! they’re quite unique in the market imo

1 Like

I just picked up two recently and might have a custom one built based on the LD-1 and LD-2. Yeah really unique and beautifully made.

1 Like

I almost forgot the new small drone synth in town, the FM-based Mystic:

In the demo it’s a bit Strega-y at times, with the added crispiness of deep-fried FM. Looks like some fun can be had with CV as well.

2 Likes

I do enjoy droning after work.
I found it pretty relaxing too.
Here is an example but I’ve got some more on my Instagram, using an analog4 mki too :slight_smile:

https://www.instagram.com/tv/ClRmpx_vV1u/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

1 Like

I use it too for drones, but you can do even do an entire live performance with it and some control midi mapping.

I love that little evil box so much!

This thread has me wondering – what constitutes a drone synth?

1 Like

A Doepfer A-143-2 Quad ADSR can be a drone synth if you want.

3 Likes

A synth able to fly?

1 Like

This is the synth that doesn’t end, yes it goes on and on my friends, some patches started oscillating, not knowing what it was, but they’ll continue oscillating forever just because…

3 Likes

What are options that don’t need additional effects?
For standalone droning, but still hands-on - not just set and forget.

Quadrantid Swarm

You can also create tons of other sounds with it.

1 Like

I think this thread pre merge was originally called “small format drone synths” which made a bit more sense as almost any synth can drone. Set a note to play infinitely whether through gaffer tape on the keyboard or infinite sustain. Add some modulation for a bit of movement/interest and away you go….

But the discussion originally was more focused on small to medium sized everything-in-a-box tools/toys that were only designed to drone. which are often way more interesting/exotic/eccentric/weird than your usual musical device.

For me the other big divide is between boxes that do melodic or atmospheric drones and the more raucous fizzy/squawky/screechy noise boxes. I don’t think we’ve yet conclusively settled that the latter are drone boxes yet. Although some would inexplicably claim it so.

The Strega sounds fine by itself, I just like having the option of opening things out with a bit of reverb or whatever. It’s really more a matter of personal sound preferences - do you want something with more grit or a big lush mass of silky detuned waves?