DSI Tempest Sample Pack by LØSTLVLS

I believe Erica Synths are based in Riga, Latvia. I saw an interview with Girts once and they talked about that. I think this was the video:

I’m yet to learn why “Erica Synths” – who is/was Erica?

1 Like

I just Czeched out (see what i did there?) the Tempest kit.

Its really present and forward compared to say a tr8s. I have to start building with it to see how it sounds in a mix… it makes it seem like Roland puts some processing on thier machines compared to the Tempest.

2 Likes

That was really punny!!

I haven’t downloaded the tempest pack yet, but I happened to find myself using samples from other LOSTLVS packs today. I’ve been digging the Mordor DR2 samples

2 Likes

One thing I noticed about the Tempest was the amount of snappy envelopes going on at once can really dominate a mix. It’s the sounds I was using. I’d make all my kicks and snares and hats and percs really snappy, which sounded great to me when I was designing the sounds but when they’re played as a kit the resulting waveform was a little skinny thing dominated by massive volume spikes. Had to work on those sounds when making the pack so as to make them a bit less harsh. I did manage to get some lovely thick booming noisy techno kicks out of the Tempest, they sounded like they’d been processed with reverb and distortion when in fact it was careful use of the noise modulation source on an oscillator. So cool.

Me too, I use it all the time! Really punchy sounds come out of the DR-2. That said, I’ve been tempted to grab an original Tanzbär as I’ve been using someone else’s sample pack and loving it. The kick is so simple and powerful, sits in a mix perfectly. Dry and punchy and heavy without dominating the mix.

1 Like

I put up a sample of Ian Anderson for a Mission Brief.

It’s a flute solo, so I think I’ll mass around with the tempest pack, and see how it fairs with the shrillness of the flute. Those sharp attacks might fit right in.

I just get caught up first with the Debbie Gibson Happy Hardcore track.

Oh. Maybe the Perkons for that one! I was going to use the Syntakt, like I did for the demo of it I made, but let’s experiment and get my moneys worth!

1 Like