DT chill-out beat for a spring day - recorded on cassette 4-track

Hi Elektronauts - I’ve been loving my Digitakt since I got it in January. Here’s my first full song with it:

Some recording notes:

I tracked everything to a Tascam 4-track cassette, then mixed in Logic. I’d like to learn how to “perform” the Digitakt. My knob turns always sound gratuitous to me, so here I’m only muting and unmuting tracks. Live guitar and bass are tracked over it.

The DX7 arp at the end was played by hand, which you can recognize toward the end of it… I would have used a DT MIDI track for an easier time of it, but I thought of the idea after I’d already tracked the DT…cassettes have their pros and cons… :slight_smile:

equipment:

• digitakt
  • acoustic guitar, electric guitar, j-bass
  • yamaha dx7
  • pedals: compressor, delay, envelope filter
  • small mackie mixer
  • tascam 234

Pete

18 Likes

So chill on the beach as the sun sets kinda vibe. I’m loving it dude

1 Like

Very nice stuff :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks @Naked_Viking and @Nachklangmusik - I appreciate the listens and the kind comments!

Pete

Good stuff Pete!
Thanks

1 Like

A great atmosphere. Nice work! I really like the DX7 arpeggio just the way it is - I’m glad you played it in manually.

1 Like

Quite good. I’d like the drums to be louder but that’s personal pref.

1 Like

Love the song, Pete! You make me miss my old Tascam 4 track days… always liked the way it made recordings sound. Definitely working well for you here! Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Thanks @TonyDS_1, @Scot_Solida, @StevenGrandy, and @AlmaxMere – much appreciated all.

@StevenGrandy - yes, I think I could have mixed the drums a touch louder, especially the kick. The digitakt was like a submix. So once I got from tape to Logic, increasing volume on drums was beyond my mixing skills, since the L&R of the DT was on two mono tracks combined with other stuff. Thanks for the feedback.

Really nice track!

1 Like

Thanks @DimensionsTomorrow … your DT hip-hop tunes and associated thread on Elektronauts helped tip me toward the DT in the first place!

1 Like