@Eaves / Ivar Tryti’s Music

This project originally started out as a ‘beat factory’ to pump out short drum loops I can use in other projects. The project ended up having 63 samples loaded, including around 20 resampled variations of two beats.

This is also the first time I’ve pitched a tuned kick drum on the Digitakt. I want to try doing more of this :slight_smile:

Thanks for listening!

I made a tutorial on how I make drums here:

1 Like

I came up with three separate melodies around the same time and spread all my energy on all three instead of focusing on one and finishing it. Ended up with three unfinished tracks, but I’m happy enough with how they turned out that I wanted to upload them anyway.

While working on these melodies, I was also thinking about what to talk about in my next tutorial, and how to put it together. I spent a loooong time recording the guitar parts on the first loop. I ended up basically using the song as a metronome and just practiced rythm and picking and improvising for an hour or so before finally recording something.

The guitars parts were played via the Digitakt into FL Studio where I added compression and distortion, then sampled from FL Studio into the Digitakt. Everything else is made up of one shot samples. All audio is coming from the Digitakt, with a limiter added in post.

The title PunPunHead came to mind because I recently started reading this really bizarre manga called Goodnight Punpun. And I was inspired by RadioHead.

1 Like

This is more of a “how it’s made” than a tutorial, but I did my best to be informative while making this track. There have been a few people asking me about my process, and I thought I’d try to make a whole track from scratch on camera.

00:00 Intro
01:35 neat way of loading samples and loading drum samples
05:25 Making a basic drum pattern
10:15 Adjust volume for each drum sample
11:30 How I set up patterns for making and trying out beats
13:40 Resampling the 1st drum loop
18:55 Cut and rearrange the drum loop
25:15 Replacing samples quickly to make new drum loops!
28:25 Change drumloop while a pattern is playing to compare them!

31:25 Coming up with a chord progression part 1
33:11 Setting up the first pattern in the song itself
36:15 Programming in the melody into track 8
41:45 Hihat fill trick
43:30 (off topic) how I made my favorite bass sample
45:07 Programming the bassline into track 5
48:05 Making a lead melody on track 8 (and moving the arp to track 7)

53:15 Coming up with a chord progression part 2
58:52 Changing the bassline for part 2
1:01:50 Changing the arpeggio for part 2
1:07:55 Changing the drums for part 2
1:10:40 Making the bass louder to match the louder drums

1:13:00 Figuring out how to arrange the final track
1:15:54 The finished track and final words

10 Likes

I’m watching right now. Very intersting. I like how you make drum loop :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you, @blaize!

Really helpful and informative - thanks for making this.

1 Like

It’s always insightful seeing how other people use the machine. Thanks for making this.

1 Like

Thanks! I’m glad you both thought it was interesting, @badbass and @L.AMendes :slight_smile:

Your sound is boss, have been watching and liking all your vids prior to this long one and learning about your process is very insightful, thanks for that. I got a bit lost at one moment in your pattern management and resampling routine but as you said, this is not a tutorial. Basically you make sample chains from within the DT and the spacing of trigs on the mockup patterns allows you to calculate the sample lock values for the bounced one, am I correct? Again - never heard the DT sounding so beefy without any additional gear.

1 Like

Thanks a lot, @mishpult! Yeah, the way you describe how I and why I resample is spot on. I make the drumloop so that every other step in the sequence is a sample in the sample chain. Since I’m using the same pattern but with different samples, I can switch between my bounced samples while playing the pattern to compare them. One thing I didn’t do in the video (but have done in another track) is to have several drum loops loaded, then p-locking the sample source on each step to sort of mash up two or more drum loops together. Thanks again, man!

3 Likes

you are most welcome:) I just tried your method of creating internal sample chains and while working I noticed that for faster tempo material you need to space out the dummy pattern on 1/4 notes in order to leave the instruments to ring out and not get overlapped. Also, the re-pitching would obviously work for music below 150bpm due to the 300bpm tempo limit on the DT, so no DnB and Gabba with this method:))) Other than that I got to hear what it does to the sound and how massive it gets. While I don’t have the time and patience to implement this method into my composing routine in its entirety, I will definitely start including more resampled material into my track and try to build a library of gritty loops to play around with. Good times, thank you again and looking forward to your next vids!

1 Like

Wow no hairline!

Watching this video made me realize how much more I need to explore the digitakt. I’ve been so hesitant on using the different pattern pages prior to watching this. Some of the stuff happened a bit fast, but luckily i understood mostly what was going on. I noticed you holding the page somewhere around 1:13:00 - 1:13:45. Sorry for my ignorance, what does this do exactly?

Thanks again for this.

1 Like

Yeah, it was the top comment on my first tutorial so I had to make a reference to it in this one :smiley:

Thanks for checking out my video! Yeah, I wasn’t sure if I was making a tutorial or a demo, so I got impatient and moved fast on some parts.

When I press the page button the hihats play twice as fast, going from “chak, chak, chak, chak” to “chakka-chakka-chakka-chakka”. At 41:45 I show how I set up the hihats so the page button makes them play faster. The gist of it is that every other hihat has the FILL condition and is slightly shorter and lower volume.

1 Like

I’m in the middle of moving, so uploads have been slow. Whenever I had spare time and energy, I’d sit down and make a few drum loops. This track is the result of a couple of days horsing around on the Digitakt. Thanks for listening!

4 Likes

It’s been a hectic week. My wife and I moved into our new house a week ago and have been busy getting the house in order, but I managed to squeeze in some bass practice before breakfast and before bed. I made a few beats on the Digitakt (had recently bought the Pandora’s Box sample pack by Elektron) and recorded the video using my phone, and the audio you hear is what the phone mics picked up (along with some compression on top). This video is a collection of the bass lines I was happy with. Recording video like this is way more work than just doing top down Digitakt videos!

9 Likes

Hey!
Your stuff is yeah!
thumbsup

1 Like

Very nice, reminds me a bit of Porcupine Tree! What amp are you using?

1 Like

Thank you @gerkinear and @jcd! I’m using a small practice amp, Fender Rumble 25.

I bought a sample pack called Phandora’s Box by Elektron. I made the drums using samples from that pack, along with my usual piano samples (the notes C6 and C7 from FL Studio Mobile’s piano). This time I’m using one sample per track instead of resampling the drums!

1 Like