Edit: i fixed my issue, it wasnt model cycles

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/elektron-modelcycles

It would have been nice if Elektron said “DO NOT USE CYCLES AS AN AUDIO INTERFACE”

It works fine as an audio interface beyond there no class compliant drivers beyond a hack on PCs (c’mon MICROSOFT. I’m forced to use Macs if i want some things to work and then make other tradeoffs…)

I have the glitchy latency driven issues with other driverless interfaces like the Behringer Uphoria.

I just keep wondering if there is something in the cycles that I have that was faulty, and possibly glitched something out with my audio drivers

With regards to USB, there’s a chain of protection against that at many stages to protect overload or passing voltages on where they’re not desirable, which is why I find that less likely. I absolutely get why it seems that way, but I’d suggest isolating for other factors (lest it possibly occur again with the Cycles out of the picture :frowning: )

Issues

1. ASIO4ALL is not optimized for modern hardware or technologies and is hacky compared to an OS that supports class compliant audio at the kernel level
  2. Your Focusrite crapped itself somehow? Still unsure what the level of damage from description.
  3. Your headphones got damaged from some low freq or high amplitude pops
  4. You were having issues with any headphone out on your Cycles? Unsure the details there either
1 Like

I guess you misinterpret this section of the review. It’s very likely that it refers to the exclusion of the effects from the USB stream. USB audio works without any problems unless you are an OS which doesn’t support it directly.

Original quote:

However, you can stream audio using the audio interface feature, and I like that you can choose not to include the effects. Unfortunately, I never got this to work.

2 Likes

I am getting a new interface as a beta unit from another company to beta test that I cannot disclose due to NDA, and I will be ordering new headphones soon. Wish I could stick with the cycles I got, but the headphone input of the unit I got, is actually broken. It doesnt work with any headphones that I tested it with

Weird they say “interface”. I guess technically that is correct. But I thought audio interface implied I/O

Anyways…sorry about what happened. Hope you figure out where the problem was introduced.

1 Like

As far as convention goes, it means that you can plug the device in and listen to computer audio through it, use it instead of your default system audio board D/As.

I get how the term can be overloaded because of expectations with most dedicated interfaces.

Having to isolate that cluster of problems sucks, I would still consider them separately to where you may want to monitor your current setup. Hopefully those phantoms are long gone and good luck :slight_smile:

Im ok with what happened, I have made peace for the most part lmao. I can return the cycles, I have an interface on the way anyway, so I just have to buy headphones.

that doesn’t have two regular inputs, maybe you hit the 48V phantom power button by mistake !?!

4 Likes

I have the first gen scarlet solo, not this one.

i see … but it still has a non-combo XLR and phantom power - it’s just a vaguely plausible reason worth exploring, it should be obvious to anyone trying to understand the issue if it was … although tbf, it maybe wouldn’t explain why the scarlet was cooked - it struck me based on the differing cabling requirements that it could be a factor

I never enabled phantom power. The only thing that struck me, was when I would change my connections around to test out different ways to record cycles, whether it was audio over usb, or connected to the input of my scarlett solo. I would open the audio panel, switch around my audio settings while in the DAW

Its nearly impossible to prove the cycles had anything to do with it, but this never happened before, and also, this is the first time I ever owned something that streamed audio over USB

I found the problem. I didnt realize, but the BeyerDynamics had a torn internal wire after I took them apart. The audio interface seems ok now, as I tested the interface with some Beats headphones I had lying around. I still returned the Cycles, because the headphone input of cycles was broken

6 Likes

BOOM…there ya go!

I had the same issue once [post no.21 :slight_smile: ]. glad you found the problem.

1 Like

okay, that’s cleared that up :sketchy: … and somehow this broken headphone ‘input’ was not related to the torn cable of the headphones !

5 Likes

yea, kinda glad it was a torn cable, I was afraid to break more equipment from some unknown issue.

2 Likes