Elektronauts dnb/jungle tunes/tips

Yeah, this is really, really good. I enjoy making music on hardware way more than itb but sometimes I feel like I’m just spinning my wheels because it’s so hard to achieve certain results (for me at least) otb.

1 Like

You’re welcome, I’m the opposite with Hip Hop I find it way easier to get something going with less elements…

1 Like

Did a few (+10 :laughing: ) jams today with a project I was working on and this is the result.(got inspired by this thread to put some work in to it)

A bit more noise coming through during the intro than was intended. (I blame the compressor for bringing it up between the bass notes :crazy_face:).

Digi’s + BOUM

I use some of the techniques for the Amen Break from the video below. (it’s been posted here before i think) Interesting stuff!

6 Likes

Nice thanks for posting the vid I’ll see if I can emulate some of it in drambo…

1 Like

What timing!
I’ve been listening to jungle, breakcore and D&B playlists recently and was thinking how I would even begin on the Syntakt.

I usually stick around dancey kind of jams or hip hop, but For as much as I enjoy listening to breaks, I’ve never given it a shot. Figured it’s to hard to approach with just synthesis.

Any tips for someone that isn’t into samples?

This is a great little tutorial on drum and bass drum patterns, he’s got some other good ones on bass pattern etc. All of it is transferable to other pieces of kit or daws…

3 Likes

Arrh DOA! Best and worst thing we created lol

2 Likes

Hahaha yeah I can’t deny theres some great info and an tunes posted there but I can’t get past the attitude that seems a bit prevalent…

A whilte ago I deconstructed the arrangement of one of my favourite DnB-songs, “A Made Up Sound” from Source Direct. This is a screenshot from the arrangement I reconstructed in Studio One, maybe some of you will find it useful :slight_smile:
Quick note: The arrangement doesn’t start at bar 1 of the song, but the first bar where the Apache break starts.

3 Likes

Artists to check with regards to production imo
Break
Breakage
DLR
Dub Phizix
Skeptical
Sub Motive
Fixate.

I work with all these guys and they’re stuff sounds great and they have the funk. Too much of today’s DnB is sterile and paint by numbers

I’m not a fan of the modern turn DnB has taken of foghorns and random Serum tones.
Also not a huge fan of the newer take on Jungle, I guess I’m just old and I think it was better first time around. Artists today forget that we were influenced by and sampled a wide variety of music that made up the sound of Jungle, whereas today’s Jungle is just referencing Jungle, so kinda misses the point.

If you’re going to follow online tutorials I’d say check for people who have a track record of releasing succesful music within that scene. They may be behind a pay wall but you get what you pay for, I think Break, Mefjus, Noisia and Optical have all done good ones.

13 Likes

I don’t think you’re wrong, it definitely was better the first time round, I’m still listening to all the stuff I was dancing to in the 90s, as far as production values goes I’m just happy to turn out something that I’m happy to listen to and if other people enjoy it that’s a bonus for me, I don’t have the time to get hung up in the minutiae of production, I’m 50 with two kids a missus and a day job…

4 Likes

Then you’re doing it for the right reasons. Refreshing to hear

3 Likes

To me DnB and especially Jungle are sample based genres. My understanding is that a lot of the synth and bass sounds were sampled back in the day. That’s how I’ve been working lately, pure samples. Liking the sound I’m getting far better.

Syntakt problem has some brilliant sounds inside for DnB though. Maybe just not everything you need.

I don’t think you’ll get proper DnB on just the Syntakt. I hear a lot of “almost” DnB made on one Elektron machine posted here. To me the only Elektron that will really accomplish it is the Octa.

Also I find DnB and Jungle to be very dancey! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think we should add yourself to that list.

2 Likes

100% truth

Yep. A body of work anyone would be proud of. I’ve been chasing that autonomic sound for years without any luck.

Exactly mate. I occasionally make jungle/DnB stuff simply because I find it fun. Nuts to what anyone else thinks. I’ve got no one to impress. I have a job and a life outside of music. Couldn’t care less if its proper, or almost. As Long as it makes me happy that’s what counts. If others dig it, cool. I make a bunch of other music in different styles as well, same deal there.

I tried making DnB in ableton years ago, hated it. Octatrack though? Brilliant.

7 Likes

Thank you. The answers are in the influences section of the podcast.

2 Likes

@dBridge proper d&b don, will check those artists you mentioned

You played here in Belfast for crilli before and they are doing great things for the d&b scene here still. Proper d&b and they’ve been at it for years. Not easy to run parties in such a small city for so long and still doing well without jumping on trends but they’ve stuck to their guns and respect what they do a lot

1 Like

I remember that night and crew, good ppl. Say hi for me

1 Like