Elektronauts Hip Hop Beat Battle #11 Goodfellas Voting and feedback

I used the strings from the intro here

I often judge my beats by imagining how Ghost‘s flow would sound on them, and I thought now is the chance to have some Supreme Clientel verses on a beat I made.
Was well worth it for me hearing that for once :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Your beat was sick and also I like the way you used the “oh no part” which has been used before but just as a straight sample (I can’t remember who by) but you were way more creative with it

3 Likes

Thank you mate! Appreciate it :relaxed: Was my first time playing with the OT since I was reunited with it and it felt really inspiring.

3 Likes

Thanks man, appreciate it!

1 Like

Thanks, y’all. I’m happy that I get to be boss until one of you takes me out next round. The fact that I’m still coughing a lot now feels a lot like cinematic foreshadowing. This is now a story about someone’s rise to power.

Anyways, my track is a remix of “I Got Caught Dealing pt. II” by The Clipse. The main sample comes from “Sincerely” by the Moonglows. I also used a sample from “The Bell of St. Mary’s” by the Drifters for the chorus. The drums on this come from “Memo From Turner” by the Rolling Stones and “Jump Into The Fire” by Harry Nilsson. The shakers come from “Magic Bus” by The Who. So I just used music from the movie.

Like I said in the other thread, I sketched the chops out in Koala. But I actually made the beat on my Digitakt. The acapella is on the Digitakt too. I just cut it into a few pieces and put them on track 8.

So yeah, be on the lookout for the next one.

10 Likes

In case anyone wants to hear the instrumental, I included it when I uploaded this to my youtube.

Also, this is as far as I got with an alternate beat.

6 Likes

my track notes:

all done in ableton live 11 on m1 MacBook air

track 1: drums, sequenced addictive drums with triplet hats off the grid, transients knocked back to get more punch, eq on the kick and elsewhere, tape mello-fi drum warmer and other processing

track 2: serato sample piano chops of “it’s not for me to say” by johnny mathis

track 3: serato sample guitar chops from “boulevard of broken dreams”

track 4: simpler chops of intro and crickets from the goodfellas movie intro

track 5: clips of movie dialog, including the “karen!” scene

track 6: acapella verses from EPMD’s “Never Seen Before” with effects

track 7: “funny how” dialogue that might not be in the final track

tracks 8-10: unfinished parts that didn’t end up making the cut

master: rc-20, ozone 9, bx_masterdesk true peak, spectrum display, youlean loudness meter

i finished this before my serato sample trial ended, so now i either need to buy it at some point or just never go back to this project.

4 Likes

The main chops I used were strings and harp, and a tiny bit of mando and vocal from Firenze Sogna
Quasi scratching and micro chops from Can’t We Be Sweethearts- The Cleftones and Sincerely - The Moonglows. Placeholder drums from mpc (dirtyed up) that I didn’t have time to replace. Bass from Firenze Sogna eq’d and filtered and various stock bass sounds originally wanted a 90bpm for the year the movie came out but had to bump it up to 91 to make it fit in 3 minutes

I found a weird mpc glitch to exploit and had a happy accident along the way, I felt like it was a crazy little journey for me putting this track together, I’m happy to post more if anyone is interested

I am excited to be a part of this and really enjoyed listening to all the beats you awesome people made

4 Likes