Eliminating noise from a mixer to the interface

No these are purely power cables, haha. Yeah, it’s crazy. I think if we had a £24,000 pair of monitors in a custom treated room through Prism converters, we might be able to hear these tiny minute differences too. The same person that uses those cables also said Van Damme cable is fine for a lot of people.

These are a bit cheaper, just £90 per 1.5m, the ones I saw were a bit more fancy with an opaque out cable.

2m for £950, wow.

I do love reading the Audiophiles comments/forums, one of my recent favourites was “The AKG702’s demand you turn your windows audio (playback) setting right up to 96khz”…

1 Like

Windows audio player, haha, thats rich.

I’ve got a similar situation - no noise in my headphones plugged into mixer, but when recording (through a UMC202 into Cubasis on my phone), there is discernable noise when later listening to the recording.

Tried going out from the control room outs as well as the tape outs of the mixer, same thing. I figured it could be the interface (being a cheap Behringer thingy) that was introducing noise, but am not thinking i should give 'em ferrite beads a try.

One question though - the clip on ones seem to come in various standard sizes, beginning with 3mm diameter. If I’m putting one on each of the RCAs going into the audio interface, that might be a bit loos - question is, do ferrite beads need to be super snug with the cable to work? :thinking:

Should be tight, yes, but not done with a big force, just to have as little air or space between the cable and the bead as possible.

Reason: The cable will form a loop and this loop will work like an electromagnetic coil. The ferrite will dampen high electromagnetic frequencies. If the loop winds as close as possible around the ferrite, the damping effect is stronger.

Do I suppose correctly that you feed the audio digitally (USB) in your iPad?

Many thanks, appreciate it! Came across this link:

…which is quite helpful. Just curious, is it better to have a ferrite bead that is snug when clipped on a cable that is NOT looped, OR to have a bead with a bigger diameter which is snug on a ‘looped’ cable?

Thanks again

[EDIT: yes, audio goes through RCA from mixer into USB interface, and then USB cable into iPhone - I should put the beads on the two RCA cables as well as the USB cable I guess?]

Just checked the link … you can see in both cases “snug” is recommended.

The closer the ferrite is to the electrical conductor of the cabel the better the filtering works :wink:

I would try to find the true source of the noise first, before applying beads.

It doesn’t need to be the USB cable, because this would mean, that digital noise from the USB cable is induced electromagnetically to the RCA cables. Just keep power cables, data cables, and audio cables as separated as possible.

Have you checked that no other high frequency sources are around? Cell phone, computer, etc.?

Thanks - no other appliances around (except the phone that the audio interface is connected to…).
The cables go from the mixer to the audio interface and then through USB and the phone - total distance of ~40cm.

But… just went to check… actually because the USB cable attached to the audio interface is quite long, I realised that the ‘box’ itself was resting on a lower shelf right next to a three way extension box… so whilst the source (mixer) and destination (iphone) are close to each other and no power supplies in-between, the interface itself was very close to various power cables!!

Will test later and report back :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: