Encoders inconsistent/failing?

You’re welcome!
The increased resistance is probably the grease being a bit thicker than the original.
If it feels more like a standard potentiometer that would make sense.

I have a Digitone with one encoder stiffer than the rest. It’s about 60% harder to turn. No harsh sounds or scratching feel, just harder to turn. Would Kontakt PR loosen it or should I use it on the other encoders to make those stiffer?

as it’s a used unit (i saw your other post, forgot to reply), the stiff encoder could be a newly replaced one. ask the seller or contact Elektron to find out. i wouldn’t use kontakt pr on it.
i had my F encoder replaced recently and it’s much stiffer and the push-click feels soft compared to the other encoders (the unit is 3 years old so the other encoders have had lots of use) so i guess it will wear in with normal use.

Hi. The unit is new, was used for a couple of weeks before it was sold to me. I really don’t think the seller had enough time to do any damage, the unit is in an immaculate state and I had a very long and deep conversation with him and I can vouch he didn’t damage it. Now, I don’t know if he bought it new in-store or got a refurbished unit so that might be the case regarding the encoder.

I will ask the seller again and send an email to Elektron with the serial number and ask for a service history, if any exists.

I didn’t damage mine either - encoders can just fail after regular use

If the encoder works as it should, I wouldn’t do anything with it.
There can be a lot of difference in feel between encoders, also when they are new.

Keep in mind that this is also a fairly new product from Alpha so it’s probably still being optimized.
It could be as simple as the encoder coming from a different batch.

(They’re not encoders by the way, they’re endless potentiometers. The P in Kontakt PR stands for potentiometer. Encoders may need a different product.)

The encoders on my AR2 were waayyy too sensitive (annoying to dial in a tempo without it jumping all over the place). Happy to say that the latest OS update I installed corrected that issue.

I’ll use this thread, however everyone seems to talk one step ahead of me. Back to basics question:

I have an A4 mk1 with one encoder that seems to be starting to fail. The rest are fine, but this one reacts a lot less. I basically have to use push-turn always otherwise I have to twist it many turns to change an adequate amount of values.

What is the process of replacing encoders? From the forum I gather you can buy them from Elektron. So if I do, then what? Can you just stick a new one in as a noob that doesn’t have two left hands? Or do you have to do de-soldering and soldering and stuff? What’s the process of replacing encoders?

It probably just needs a clean. I’ve repaired OT encoders before when they’ve become jumpy. There’s a YouTube video I followed which along with help from fellow Elektronauts gave my OT a brand new lease of life!

1 Like

Okay that’s good to hear I can give that a try

1 Like

You’ve described exactly the fault I have with my Level encoder (A4mk2). It sometimes jumps around by itself meaning the sound pool menu can open if I hold a trig :frowning:

Sometimes some of my 10 endless encoders (A4mk2) take half a second to kick in, I’d turn it and the synth parameter only starts to move after a delay.

I’m sending it in for repair to replace one really faulty encoder but do you think I should ask them to replace the aforementioned encoders too, or is this kinda normal behavior on Elektrons?

I’ve got a wonky encoder on my Octatrack. It skips all over the place when turning, basically unusable :neutral_face:

Dumb question, but…to those that have gone the route of Midi control, is there a way to assign a controller to act as Encoder C, to control whatever parameter C would control in that page, or would you have to assign one knob on the outboard midi device to each parameter C would control in each page?

Nope

1 Like

Thanks. That’s what I assumed, but I thought I’d ask anyway. I’m sure I’ll be in the market for a"box of knobs" Midi controller at some point.

1 Like

… possibly consider being in the market to have the offending encoder swapped out by a local repair tech