Entries from the manual that would confuse anyone not familiair with the lingo

Elleu,

So I’m doing some manual reading ahead of getting an actual Octatrack and found myself laughing a little at some of the sentences in the manual. I visualize the completely confused faces of anyone not familiair with the lingo like:

Parameters cannot slide to or from unlocked lock trigs.

giphy

What are your favorite funnily confusing sentences from the manual?

19 Likes

A classic…but the ‘Trigless trig’

8 Likes

“Sample trigs trig the machines and
samples of the tracks.”

This is in the index…already two possibilities from a single function.

Imagine you don’t know trig/machine/track lol RIP prospective buyer.

10 Likes

To turn a lock trig into a trigless trig, press [TRIG] + [YES]. When pressing the [TRIG] key of a lock trig, it will turn into a sample trig.

14 Likes

That is confusing. Is it referring to the ‘samples of the tracks’ as the recording buffers then??? And not flex and static samples as these are machines…?

1 Like

I just know when I record I have to set down a trig. Or if I want a thru track to play I have to set a trig. But I can record on say track 4 as a flex machine, leave record mode and set sample playback trigs. Hehe fun times…

Thankfully I never read the manual during this phase. So I will truly never forget

2 Likes

I made a much clearer one :

spreadsheet-crazy

21 Likes

Ah! Rocket Surgery :rofl:

2 Likes

That reminds me of a simplified diagram of the a4 voice assigning…

3 Likes

Yes. It took me a little while with practice to understand Rotate / Reset etc with the diagram. Simpler without. :content:

1 Like

It makes sense, but I do find myself having to stop and reallocate extra brain power from things like breathing before reading the sentence again sometimes.

10 Likes

the moment I saw this chart was the moment I knew I would never use pickup machines

4 Likes

The Elektron manuals in general are like a puzzle, a very scary and evil puzzle whose only goal is to destroy all semblance of sanity within the reader.

1 Like

When in MIDI mode and neither GRID RECORDING or LIVE RECORDING mode is active, the [TRIG] keys can be used to trig tracks that are disconnected from the sequencer. [TRIG 1–8] keys trig the audio tracks and [TRIG 9–16] keys trig the MIDI tracks.

If an audio track and a MIDI track share the same MIDI channel, the MIDI track will block the audio track from sending out data while the audio track will block the MIDI track from receiving data.

2 Likes

This nearly drove me crazy during the first few days of owning my OT. Now it all makes perfect sense! :grimacing:

My work on this planet is completed methinks. Time to move on to my next assignment…

14 Likes

Not yet! I’ve got something for you!
The Elektron documentation thread

1 Like

I want a t-shirt with the pickup machine diagrams. Reminds me of my t-shirt with the DES cipher from the time when it was illegal to export it from the US, and my other t-shirt with a bluebox circuit diagram.

3 Likes

MKI’s is gorgeous.

3 Likes

I actually found that diagram helpful! Without context, though…

2 Likes