Erica Synths LXR-02 Desktop Digital Drum Synthesizer

I had the LXR-02 but sold it once the Syntakt was announced. I liked the sounds but didn’t care for the workflow, particularly with the sequencer.

Decided to get the module version and I think it makes more sense in Eurorack format personally. Especially considering I don’t have to worry about non-looping LFOs… it feels more open. Cool, dope sounding drum machine regardless.

2 Likes

With which modules do you pair it for the eurorack version? I looked at building a small case around the module version as kind of techno system light and it was ending up to be crazy expensive.

I agree. For a new and promising product I had expected a lot more. One bigger feature update not too long after it was released and the rest has been bug fixes. Still it has some strange behavior and people are complaining about it being unreliable and buggy. Like, when doing the Reload command the sound is reloaded immediately but the display and the trigs are not recalled until the end of the pattern… Hope they are going to give this great machine more love in the future.
Please contact Erica Synths about bugs and features - maybe they will give it more priority then.

3 Likes

Zadar for weird envelopes/ LFOs. NerdSeq can honestly give you so much alone with LFOs and Envelopes and modulation that you wouldn’t really need anything else caveat being that it’s a tracker.

But yeah, jumping in all at once is going to get a device that’s very expensive especially compared to the desktop module. But the form factor just makes more sense to me, being able to easily send sounds through analog filters and such. I know there’s nothing it can do that the desktop module can’t but it clicks a bit more.

But with a good midi sequencer like the Hapax you could really take the LXR-02 to the next level by adding much more envelopes to it through MIDI.

So I revisited this idea of creating an 808 kit on the LXR-02 and managed what I thought was a decent one.

15 Likes

Nice!! That sounds really good! It’s kinda fun to do those pseudo-emulation experiments. :wink:

I think yours sounds closer than mine. Your rim shot is much closer for one.

1 Like

Sounds great but missing the most important part!

Cowbell!

(Not sure how this would be achieved though lol)

I feel like an 808 cowbell is possible! I accept the challenge and will report back.

2 Likes

Sounds great! Would not have guessed this was coming from the LXR.

Nice work! I’d love to see the details.*

*please post the project up somewhere!

It would be great a challenge in this post to replicate the sounds of classic TRs with the LXR02… Maybe 4 days for example to replicate a drumkit? I’d love to hear what people achieve with this challenge. I’m a beginner on synths…

Here’s my first attempt at some of the other 808 sounds such as the cowbell, clave and maracas. I think the only sound I haven’t tried yet at the toms, but that should be pretty easy.

9 Likes

I can see if I can export the kits and upload them here (or in a Google Drive).

3 Likes

I’ve got these loaded in my OG LXR (he makes use of the very limited sample memory to add authenticity so it’s not exactly the same approach but still very useful and free!)

I did have to edit a few of the samples to remove non-zero crossing clicks (kick I think) and I think also re save a couple to make them load and work in the LXR.

3 Likes

a miniature cowbell :cool:

Here’s an attempt at an Acetone Rhythm Ace type sound.

6 Likes

with regard to the wishes for firmware updates: maybe we should reach out to Sonic Potions with the ideas in this thread. perhaps an update could come from either company

1 Like

Good idea. It’s Erica Synths though. support@ericasynths.lv

Tried my hand at emulating the Roland CR-8000 and CR-78 stock kits in Ableton. Can you tell which are the samples and which as the LXR (I think you can)?

CR-8000

CR-78

1 Like

I’d say that in the CR 8000 are the Tom’s
In the CR78 I’m not sure…