Expressive E Osmose

Saving configurations as presets is not yet possible for example. Resolution and features of MIDI message transmission is another example: e.g if you want to use certain MPE features, you’re better off using MPE via the internal rather than via the external mode, which is kind of inconsistent.

Well they’ve said they are working on having the arpeggiator available in the Ext MIDI output. Pressure-weighted portamento is problematic due to a stupid patent issue that I like to moan about.

Are those the two you are referring to or something else as well?

They had requests for saving ext MIDI config presets so hopefully they are working on that.

I think most of those issues will be solved through firmware updates, if at all.

Edit: the patent issue is what it is. At least we’ve got the feature for the internal engine and it is a truly great one. One day (hopefully not only after 21 years) the patent will have expired.

Out of curiosity, does polyphonic pressure portamento not work via MIDI when sent via internal mode, albeit MPE only? - haven’t tried on my side because I use Osmose to control a Prophet rev 4, which is non-MPE. I could try with my Continuumini, though that seems kind of pointless :slight_smile: Thinking of it, I will check it out with my iPad MPE soft synths …

Yes you can get the pressure-weighted portamento out of the Haken MIDI output. Theres even a way to get that output to come out of the DIN port rather than only being available via the 2nd USB MIDI. Expressive E dont talk about that, but I’ve tried to get into the detail on various places on the net. On most presets the Haken output will be MPE+ with a pitch bend range of 96, but if you use the editor to fiddle with a preset, you can get it to output normal MPE if you want (though most MPE synths will just ignore the extra MPE+ messages anyway so often no need apart from reducing quantity of MIDI data) and more importantly can reduce the bend range to something more MPE synths support, eg 48. There may still be some other issues that affect some MPE synths though, eg the Haken output might not send a 0 value CC74 message as soon as a key is pressed, and some synths might be expecting such a message and will suffer from some inappropriate and jumping CC74 control as a result. (The other MIDI from the Osmose, EXT MIDI, does send CC74’s at 0 when a note is first pressed as far as I recall, but thats the MIDI output that is missing pressure-weighted portamento)

I think the patent expires around 2028. Hopefully long before then Expressive E will arrange with Haken to be able to add it to the ext MIDI output, as its just silly to prevent this, makes it harder for users without actually protecting Hakens business interests, but I have no insider info so maybe there is some vaguely logical factor I’ve not considered.

1 Like

Id already decided I wasn’t going through with my Osmose order and ask for a refund as non of the demos were doing anything for me sound wise, finally got my email this morning asking to pay the rest of the instalment, I signed into my account to ask for a refund however when I seen the outstanding balance was £752 I had a quick change of mind and paid it.

So now I have an Osmose on the way shortly, now the impossible task of making some room for it and hopefully make it sound better than all the crap demos I’ve been hearing.

As already said, “crappy demos” do not solely depend on Osmose’s intrinsic sound but also on the demonstrator’s skill with expressive performance. You will be the final judge and don’t forget that you can adjust the sensitivity settings to your skill level.

2 Likes