F@*k the haters - guitar solos are the shit

Steely Dan surely have some good solos to hate… :slight_smile: I have The Royal Scam on vinyl. Nice one.

1 Like

Agreed. I still listen to it at least once a month.

1 Like

Needs a bit of Homme here (8:30 or so for solo)

3 Likes

Freddie King always applies:

For my money, this is the Funkadelic guitar solo:

And here is my main Butthole Surfers solo:

Here is a song with perfect guitar solo!

5 Likes

hey it’s not the guitar solo that’s the issue, I love a good sabbath solo

some genres are just better off with as few brain cells as possible in the riffs department :sunglasses::love_you_gesture:

The most beautiful guitar solo I have ever heard :purple_heart:

1 Like

Wire’s “Sand In My Joints” has an unusual guitar “solo” (1:04):

It’s the two guitarists playing simultaneously through the ring modulator of an EMS Synthi AKS.
https://stereosociety.com/chairsmissing/

4 Likes
3 Likes

This thread also really begs for some of these. Like farts, or blacking out teeth in magazine photos of models, guitarists holding slugs are never not funny.

9 Likes

Oh yes to Freddie.

Right on! Just to geek out a little bit more over John Squire’s guitar work and the rest of the band’s brilliance…

I came across this video of them playing Don’t Stop -the song that is the reversed version of Watefall with different vocals. I never thought they’d re-create a backwards song live! Pretty awesome.

2 Likes

It’s about building a fine melody out of improvisation, as Mr. Rit’s doing here :grinning:

2 Likes

Eddie Fucking Hazel.
When George Clinton kicks you out of the band for doing too many drugs, youre on to something…
Also, the band just fucking cooks on this one…

4 Likes

Nice entry, @PeterHanes
Lots of fantastic guitar work all across that album.

1 Like

Long ago I heard a rumor that they were lovers and i thought that that was the hottest thing id ever heard and made their music that much more searing and gave it that je ne sais quois…
totally false, but it was a good half a day that i believed it

2 Likes

The whole “Shut up and play yer guitar” album is pretty much only guitar solos. Whats in a name lol. Can highly recommended Zappa for epic music with witty/funny lyrics. From Joe’s Garage to The Mothers and even Ruben and the Jets!

Some alums are stories on their own like Sheik Yerbouti. The songs and lyrics flow into each other making a full story. Of course every Zappa album is packed with awesome solos.

Yes I’m a fan haha.

2 Likes
1 Like

when guitar solos took over country music, shit got weird/kinda cool

1 Like