FaderFox EC4

Mr. Faderfox said he’s basically out of memory for this feature

2 Likes

“eg for CC61 to OT” - you can do that. If I remember rightly, you set push function as toggle between max/min values, make your encoder to cc61 and away you go. Or you set the CC61 encoder to be an ON/OFF button.

2 Likes

Yes, I know, but it takes up an encoder. What I meant is a push function different from what the encoder does when you turn it…

1 Like

Then the UC4 is the answer, which IMO is better suited for OT anyways since it got 8 knobs, 8 sliders, 8 push encoders (from the knobs), 8 buttons and a fader

2 Likes

I’m having trouble getting AUM on my iPad to recognize the EC4. Is there something obvious I may be missing?

1 Like

Anyone using the midi Thru function on this? I’m trying to troubleshoot an annoying latency issue and want to know if the EC4 is the culprit.

I’m trying to route my keyboard/controller through the Midi In to Usb Out (and then to a Pyramid), but the latency is noticable to a point where the playing feels ‘off’.

Ps. My gear is cumbersomly and tightly packed into a flight case. Therefore I’m asking if anyone has noticed the same here first before taking everything apart…

1 Like

Is anybody successfully using the EC4 in Ableton Live 11 (Mac)?

I’ve spent half a day trying to get it to work and it’s just doing nothing… every other external USB device is working fine in Ableton, just not the EC4… it’s driving me mad… :face_with_monocle:

I had/sold an EC4 earlier this year but now I’m thinking of one to use with DSI Tetra and DSI Evolver, to add some knobs to those

Mopho/Tetra definitely in need of more hands on controls …

1 Like

I’ve been n wondering about one of these, or the bigger brother, for my nord drum 3p and Degitakt… Then I’m like, we’ll, so many controls, do I need a second brain and more hands when jamming?

I have a low tolerance for complexity, my current approach is to learn jamming with my instruments like I would learn to play one big instrument…

But some control of chosen parameters could go a long way… Just sharing thoughts here.

2 issues (100% mine, not of the device), which made me sell my EC4:

(1) I was struggling which parameters of my setup to handle from the EC4 - with its multiple pages, you can map a lot, but in order to use it live, you really need to have a very systematic approach for assigning the 16 encoders per page (eg OT track levels, OT fx parameters, AR track levels, etc.).

(2) As only the OT but no other Elektron device can send CC61 to set the EC4 to the current state of the machine, I found it difficult to force myself to change the parameters mapped to the EC4 only from the controller and not also to tweak the parameters on the devices (which can result in jumps when moving back to the controller).

Overall, I found it better to first become fully proficient on each box itself before starting to use an external Midi controller.

4 Likes

Thanks, that helps! Indeed, I love to control, my nord drum from the Digitakt because it has encoders, so any clue change from one side is reflected on the other device immediately, no jump.

Is there anything like these Faderfox boxes with encoders?

The BCR 2000 was the only one I knew, which also had LED rings to see you where values are at, but I sold mine a while ago and find it too bulky.

Edit: they are encoders on the EC4, so I don’t understand how they are not set to the current value when using the other device’s controls

You got me curious with “CC61”. How do that work to set the state on the Faderfox box?

EC4 has encoders, but to “transmit” the state from a machine to the encoder, the machine needs to be able to send its current values to the EC4. The OT does this when you send it a CC61 command. Afaik, the other Elektron boxes cannot do this.

Edit: to send CC61, you need to configure one of the encoders on the EC4 to send this command on the channel used for the OT when the encoder is turned, and you also need a cable from the OT midi out to the EC4 midi in.

2 Likes

I see, that’s for when you open a new project or choose another pattern on an Elektron device, then the encoders don’t receive the current values from the Elektron boxes and there is a jump when turning the encoder.

Annoying, indeed. Thanks for clarifying!

I’ll answer my own question if anyone else stumble across the same issue.

It seems I get a short, but noticable enough, latency when sending my midi controller through the EC4. But only when going Midi In to Usb Out (the Routing option MU). When going Midi In to Midi Out (MM) the latency seems tight enough for me.

But at the same time it could also be the Hobbytronix Usb Host that is to blame, since that is also not needed when going full midi through the EC4. But then again, I haven’t had latency issues with the Hobbytronix earlier that I can recall…

Who knows it works better now at least.

2 Likes

Keeping an eye on this to control Ableton since I gave up my dawless ambitions (for now).
Anyone knows if it can act as a midi interface, including sending sysex from a Mac, through EC4, to a synth? (say I buy a DX7 and want to transfer some banks to it)
thanks

That was meant to be getting a re-boot, I think it’s been delayed by the global shortage of everything…

1 Like

Hey everyone, I have an issue in saving/exporting as well as loading settings via the chrome application. The save button just does not open the file browser. Running on osx bigsur and latest chrome. Anyone else has that issue or has some solution?

Got it sorted, was an issue with an unfinished chrome update.

1 Like