Fascinating inside scoop on being a full-time Synth YouTuber

I’ve read all the replies in this thread, I just don’t see the ‘mean’ or ‘toxic’ or anything of the sort. But, I am not prone to being offended or upset by adults sharing their thought wether mean or pleasant. Im open to all of it.

7 Likes

but this is the thing, it is music, art. it is not like comparing the new graphics processor in your PC. Sure you can write down the specs but those are on manufacturer websites and then just compare those?

I think there are things being said that no one would say to RMR’s face over a beer. People seem to forget that he has looked at this forum in the past and could do so again. Expressing opinions is one thing, but there’s no need to be cruel or dismissive.

11 Likes

The first three comments all amount to “quit yer whinin’”. At least @Fin25’s was funny so had a purpose. ‘mean’, ‘toxic’, ‘hateful’ might be too strong but they’re definitely not good-vibes posts like I would normally expect here. I’m not saying everything needs to be ponies and rainbows all the time but this pattern of synthfluencer pile-on has played out before and I don’t personally care for it. Good it doesn’t bother you though…

9 Likes

I would think any rational adult could handle what amounts to ‘quit yer whining’. Toxic? Certainly not. Even approaching bad or inappropriate? Definitely not. Clearly in the realm of normal discourse? Certainly.

I tell whiny people to quit their whining often.

5 Likes

Sure but how does it advance a discussion? Make an actual argument otherwise it’s just mudslinging.

3 Likes

Because people are commenting on it. No one is bound by any rule to advance any discussion. Everyone is free to comment without any advancement. Advancement is not a necessary requisite in order to comment on this forum.

One is free to comment in any way they wish, so long as the basic forum rules are not broken.

I can describe his video as him being whiny if I wish to do so. I can say I agree with him if I wish, or I can disagree. I can also use chat AI to come up with lyrics for RMR to sing as a YouTube synthfluencer breakup song for his next video - so I did…

Verse 1:
Used to be my everything, but now you’re just a memory
Thought we had forever, but you let our love decay
You played me like a fool, and now I’m feeling empty
I gave you my heart, and you left me with a broken destiny

Chorus:
I’m done, I’m through, I’m moving on
You had your chance, but you did me wrong
I’m leaving you behind, I’m finding my own way
I’m taking back my life, starting today

Verse 2:
You said you loved me, but your actions spoke otherwise
I gave you my all, and you left me with nothing but lies
You played me, you cheated, you broke my heart in two
I’m done with the pain, I’m done with you

Chorus:
You had your chance, but you did me wrong
I’m leaving you behind, I’m finding my own way

Bridge:
I’m done crying, I’m done trying
I’m done with you and all your lying
I’m done with the past, I’m moving on
I’m done with you, and I’m gone

Outro:
I’m leaving you behind, and finding my own way
I’m done with you, and I’m gone for good.

6 Likes

Kind of a false binary in this case. I don’t think it’s wrong to express frustration with how difficult it is to work a Youtube channel of scale and interact with aspects of the business of "influencing’ without running into bullshit.

It’s okay to vent at the state of things, even if “that’s just how it is for iNfLuEnCeRs!” as some may ever so helpfully point out.

I’m thankfully not in new media but just because it can be shit doesn’t mean that it’s healthy for enthusiasts and professionals who care to participate in industries so directly reliant on algorithm chasing, from other creators that have a lot of things going their way otherwise monetarily it’s crazymaking to have so little control over things when you’re opting out of embracing the parasocial, crass or dark patterns in ensuring views and Youtube’s prioritization of content content content. Especially after the Youtube home screen changed from your subscribed channels to even more of a gladiator battle where if you’re not in whatever small windows, you might see your views drop off completely.

Like, people can see what the “most popular” channels are, right? The top ones can be absolute garbage. I can imagine it’s heartbreaking to see what is popular and what effort without trickery would get you, especially in fairly niche content.

It’s not like this is a forum for guitar pedals and blues dentists :slight_smile:

1 Like

For sure to compare the basic specs of two devices reading their manuals will suffice.

However, one reason I would watch a Youtube video of a device that interests me is to try and get a feel for what it is like to access all the features and to determine how useful a feature may be, which is not always obvious from just reading the manual.

1 Like

Can confirm. Just took a browse through this thread. 200 comments with little advancement.

5 Likes

This is where the sort of team rider would come in and do that with a fee, be it loopop or someone else. And then another one doing the cool musical demo. Everybody could get paid and market would have both sides. Obv comparison vids would not be there but the sort of infomercial model where lot of the videos sit now is not good for anyone is my gut feeling, which of course can be different for someone else.

he ain’t lyin, I seen it happen but don’t quote me on that cause I ain’t said sh*t

I think most people are somewhat aware of how much work must go into making a youtube channel, I think that generally though what drives discussions such as this one are related to the specific content.

For example I have not seen YouTubers such as Loopop, LMNC, Sonic State, Accurate Beats, Cuckoo, etc making videos complaining about their job/life etc, they just put out the content that their audience sub to them for. I also notice that they tend to be far less polarising than those channels which go into such matters.

RMR, Bo Beats and some of the other less popular youtubers seem to make a lot of click bait and complaining videos etc, so it is bound to cause some criticism/controversy.

6 Likes

But we can all at least pretend!:unicorn::rainbow:

Ontopic: I just find this RMR video very weird.

5 Likes

Sonic State is tho way older than any youtube channel kind of thing. Also Nick Batt is the best reviewer ever. He does not go too hard on stuff he does not like but after a while you can sort of read it between the lines. Also his demo jams are always on point.

7 Likes

I cannot imagine in a million years hitting the “publish” button on a video like that.

The algorithms love that controversial stuff though. Generates lots of clicks. So much money being made making people mad and getting them to fight. Gotta keep those eyes fixed to the screen for more ads.

4 Likes

Loopop is very clear about making a point as to how he got the device in question in every video and whether or not it was a loaner for the purposes of making the video.

I doubt he would put out a video where he was gifted a synthesizer without disclosing that but I would not be surprised if others do not disclose everything they are getting in their videos.

7 Likes

Do you think it’s intellectually honest and promotes real discussion to try to dismissively guilt people as the “bad vibes” police?

2 Likes

I was trying to promote thoughtful discussion not dismissively guilt anyone. Sorry to anyone I have unintentionally dismissively guilted.

I don’t think you owe anyone an apology.

I’m just trying to understand your perspective. I guess I just don’t see how there can be open, honest discussion about anything if criticism is off the table. I haven’t seen anything in this thread that I thought was particularly egregious or just mean.

While I don’t think anyone deserves unnecessary hate, carving out a very public career on the internet is probably not a good choice for someone who can’t take criticism and inane comments.

6 Likes