Finally a video that made me lust for the Analog Rytm

I’ve seen plenty of videos on the Rytm before, but none of them really made me start googling prices and offers until I saw this one…

Can any AR owner tell me if they think the sound used are mostly samples or synthesis?

3 Likes

Mostly samples with a few analog sounds thrown in, I’d say. Cymbals sound like synthesis as well.

But what diff does it make how those sounds are made as long as it sounds like what you want? Even if the AR was purely sample-based, the featureset and the analog processing capabilities give it a significant leg up over most other drumpler solutions.

1 Like

It wouldn’t make a difference, just personal curiosity and trying to get a better understanding of its synthesis capabilities

Maybe if one does not really want the synthesis aspect of AR, he/she is better off with the Octatrack, which has the similar sampling capabilities, and much more.

Personally, I, as an OT owner know that I lust for the AR, but on the other hand it wouldn’t make much sense, it would be highly redundant, and would add complexity to my workflow.

This was literally one of the first videos ever released (and one I watched repeatedly while I waited for mine to arrive). None of the new machines were available and it still used the “Legacy Effects” (read: softer, weaker)

In this video it seems to me they removed a lot of the voices from the Master Outs, leaving the FX only. A gorgeous trick for this kind of music/ambient.

With the new machines and better FX (plus trig conditions), to carry on Tsutek’s analogy, we’re talking Redwood Trees over the competition.

I’ve found the power of the Rytm is in using both sample and synth layers wherever possible.

It can do a good 606-esque sound with the BD Sharp, SD Natural, and CH/OH/CY Metallic synths. But once you mix some Acidlab Drumatix samples on top of those, you get something more complex and distinctive. And that’s just one example.

Sometimes the synthesis machines can be used to add transients to the samples, and vice versa. It’s incredibly flexible.

1 Like

I’m a huge fan of this guy. He has done three of my favourite “Elektron Videos”.

I’m an Octatrack user, maybe that’s why I never felt much lust for the AR, but this video changed things quite a bit, I think the 2 would work like a charm together, one for longer samples and midi sequencing, the other for drum parts (synth/samples).

Never been much of a fan of samplers that don’t sample, but I think I understand sampling on the AR is just an additional synthesis option…

1 Like

I think that’s been the key in approaching the AR and it’s sampling capabilities: its for color and character of drums, not composition.

I just got an OT put next to my AR. I’m a very happy camper.

1 Like

Well, I too now own both the OT and the AR, and the OT is no match for the AR’s multimode analog filters and overdrive as far as using drums samples / percussion is concerned.

Also I don’t like the fact that the OT only has four parts per pattn bank as opposed to 1-kit-for-every-pattern on the AR. And then there’s the reload pattn/reload kit functions on the AR, which smoke the OTs copy/paste pattn trick. Lastly, the trig conditions.

I like the OT alot as a static sample machine / midi sequencer, and am investigating if it could replace my digital DJing rig. But going toe-to-toe against the AR, just for drum duties only, and IMHO the AR is the more capable box.

Your demonic words are threatening the safety of my wallet.

Sorry :panda:

Hmm is there a video somewhere which compares the filter and the overdrive of the octatrack vs analog rytm side-by-side, preferably with the same samples?

The AR does have a special sauce with some enhanced work flow possibilities, trig conditions too.
Sounds like magic.

A comparison video would be cool.
I might try that later if I can carve out about an hour or so to do it.

2 Likes