Fred Again..(the producer)

I feel like I’m having a boomer moment here, could someone explain two things regarding Fred, Tet and Skrilex trio…

Fist thing. Why the hell are they back spinning and doing the song over three times? Total vibe killer no?

Second.
What is up with the whole country Riddim meme. Four Tet plays it and Fred cuts it… I don’t get it!

3 Likes

I mean look at their faces when country riddim starts. That’s part of the answer. Hear also that Cochella crowd. It does something to people.

1 Like

I assume this is because of Fred’s association with garage and other London “bass music” scenes? The “rewind” has always been a big part of jungle and related music scenes, maybe a bit re-popularized for the current generation by Fred’s very popular Boiler Room set where he rewound some tracks?

I think rewinds are vibe killers for people who grew up in house and techno scenes and vibe enhancers for people who grew up with jungle and garage, although of course can be overused on done poorly in the latter scenes as well.

2 Likes

Yeah I mean it’s great. People get stoked…party’s jumping, then they kill it…. Why?

Aah ok… it felt kind of off beat though, but to each their own I guess :blush:

I’m liking this post because of the enthusiasm, not the Eno talk.

To be clear that set was rough. It was chaotic, and had me saying “wtf is this” the whole time. It was a bit sloppy and not at all what I was expecting. Also I’m not that big of a fan of any of their work, I can appreciate it, and they sure are very talented, but certainly don’t seek it out.
That said, fuck me, the energy of the crowd and performers was amongst the most intense I’d ever witnessed, and I was just watching the stream. I can’t explain it, but even though the whole time I’m watching it and telling myself “wtf is going on here”, I’m also telling myself that this is some historic festival shit. It was wild, and they had that crowd in their palms, as evident when the crowd lost their shit to Party In The USA (but then again a lot of people in attendance probably grew up listening to that song). I will say, I was getting a lot of enjoyment watching Four Tet’s face and the anxiety on display. I likened it to Four Tet was the designated driver and promised his friend’s moms that he’d look out for them and get them home in one piece.

5 Likes

Love the new fred again x brain eno album.
So relaxing!

I’ve tried this Fred thing a few times and don’t really get it. Maybe in a few years when the hype dies down I’ll try again.

5 Likes

I just scanned the thread and couldn’t see this one was shared, which I enjoyed

You need to improve your scanning skills :wink:

6 Likes

Eno really needs to stop with his running commentary about the stagnation and reduncey in music because that album with Fred is one big slab of milquetoast that even a thick layer of Nutella couldn’t help.

1 Like

They are good friends… like some kind of mentorship, he said in a few pods…

riddim is in the dying phase where they just do “remixes” of songs by putting a completely different sounding song before an entirely generic riddim drop thats been done a thousand times. i have listened to way too much of this genre

Four Tet feels out of place in this constellation and venues
He always was such a class act

1 Like

The “rewind” ting has been around since the master MC of the Jamaican dancehall days.

1 Like

I think this is a rather …im just going pass on this…nah very passed it’s time for me. maybe for a different age and experience group. No vibez, as the kids say.

I love it. On first listen I thought it was ok, and it has grown on me a ton. It sounds really great on big speakers.

I have probably listened to Ambient Music for Airports more than any other album over the years, and this one feels like its spiritual successor.

2 Likes

So nice to hear and I’ll make sure to give it another listen on my full sound system.

Music for Airports is also one of my favourites. It just arrived on vinyl today!
(part of me laughs at the idea of flipping a record over while meditating or in ceremony)