FromSoftware Games Thread

Let’s talk Malenia. What a man utter pain in the arse. Think I can semi reliably get to the second phase now but she just one shots me within seconds every time!!! Sake!

Just did the Devine Tower of Caelid, Jesus Christ that climb :joy:

5 Likes

Climb up into or down inside?

2 Likes

If I hadn’t chanced across a comment from someone saying something similar I would totally have missed the downward part

Edit- the upward part actually! I did all tough stuff and was like “surely there’s something to trigger here…”

2 Likes

Well I did both, and the down part is also pretty :confused: but I was specifically referring to the climb up :joy: “do they really expect me to navigate those ledges and archways…oh yes they do… of course they do :rofl:

2 Likes

I made so many silly mistakes climbing up that tower :rofl: then got absolutely destroyed in the basement. That boss is at the top of my ‘Im gonna get you later’ list

2 Likes

Since we’re talking climbing here, let’s stop for a second and curse the Cathedral Of The Forsaken.
Really, fuck that place.

Still amazes me that I’ve got a hell of a lot of map open now and I still don’t recognise half the place names people mention. The worst platforming experience I’ve had was a simple four-step job in a cave, which was a rare moment when I felt the game design let me down - even for FS it’s a bit sadistic to make you do several awkward running jumps in a tight space with camera issues above a fatal drop, and have to keep doing it to get your runes back every time you fall, in a game where the run button can also make you take a step back. I suppose it does show admirable confidence in their ability to create platformers.

4 Likes

I think I have about 3/4 (maybe slightly more or less) of the map, and it’s the same for me. :smiley: The upper right NE corner of the map is still pretty much empty for me right now. I’m just starting to feel comfortable in Atlas, and taking down some pretty sizable enemies, but I don’t feel ready for any “real” bosses yet. Just beat the two tree sentinels there, by coaxing one through a nearby doorway, because I couldn’t handle both at once. :smiley:

2 Likes

I just went back to it with my mimic and destroyed it. The mimic didn’t make it though.
Unnecessary boss fight but I wanted the armour, which sadly looks more underwhelming than I thought.

2 Likes

I found a great cheese for that bit. It involved a side path (think a giant bear needed to be swatted en route). You end up near a sort of balcony but where I just levelled both sentinels with rock sling with complete immunity :joy: battered them!

2 Likes

Nice!!

I need to find something like that in a few other spots :smiley:

Crazy ha that: “but I have 3/4 of the map, where is the rest of all this stuff I haven’t even heard of? feeling” :drooling_face:

I added two map pieces east of the city today and there is a lot more there than you might assume/think, I clearly still haven’t got all of it.

All the underground stuff is also really adding to the map :thinking: and I wouldn’t be surprised if there ends up being some heavenly realm floating above the map as well when it nears towards the end :joy: (which is pure speculation btw, mainly going on a gut feeling and some very vague lore info I found, I haven’t seen any spoilers of the end game yet)

1 Like

I’m 105 hours in and I know I’m almost at the end, but I must admit 2 things:

• playing the game ‘together’ with this group of people was really nice;
  • I actually feel bad about spending so much time on this when I could have focused on music or learning finger drumming.

Now give me the same but in Bloodborne.

8 Likes

I always forget about that, I’m sure there’s some kind of mini-boss down there I haven’t dealt with yet (and I only have the river section open at the moment, so I assume there’s more).

I think my next big step is the boss of Caria Manor, I was having a tentaive snoop around that area last night. I don’t much fancy the big chap outside the door, but I found a ladder that I assume will help. As usual I was burdened with runes so I didn’t push my luck… then I went back to the Impassable Greatbridge area and started brawls between NPCs until I could level up. It’s become my go-to chillout zone.

Are there any other areas where you can reliably start scraps like that? I tried to lure one of the big rat-dogs over to the huge group of zombies near Rotview Balcony, but they weren’t interested in each other so I assume there has to be some kind of allegiance / animosity element. I’m not looking for big soul payouts, just a good time. Maybe the wagon train with the two giant towing near Waypoint Ruins? Could I lead some crabs over there, perhaps? Or any other ideas that might distract me from my boss fight commitments?

2 Likes

Yeah the underground is at least 3 times more on top of the siofra river area. But I don’t think you can access these parts until you progress past the boss in the manor. :thinking: I assume you have dealt with the obvious boss&puzzle in the river area?

And no I never play “that game”, brawls amoung foes do happen once in a while but it never occurred to me to set out to instigate it :ok_hand: :joy:

I don’t even know what the manor is yet, but I have done the fire pillars / giant stag. I seem to recall seeing some big person in a large pool of water, but I’ve not been able to find that since - I suspect it’s tied to a teleporter I only found once.

I highly recommend kicking off the scrap near the Impassable Greatbridge - just spawn, get on the horse and head away from the bridge, past the tower and up the rocks behind. From there you can’t be attacked (the archers on the tower can hit you if you’re too close, but just run to the end of the rocks), so just use your bow to prod one of the giant dogs and one of the soliders and sit back and enjoy. Before too long one of the trumpeters will blow his horn and it’ll all kick off. You can draw in some other dogs if they don’t trigger, and there’s also a knight on horseback to the right who can be lured in. If the soldiers organise they usually win, but sometimes they’ll spread themselves too thin and the dogs have their day.

Theres also the human/goblin scrap you can come across in the Limgrave fields, and the Forest Lookout Tower fight, but they pale in comparison. It can actually be helpful, because you can spot things you might miss in the heat of battle - like the giant dogs having a weak spot in their eye when you break their guard (which the NPC AI never takes advantage of), and also how they telegraph some of their attacks.

3 Likes

Yeah this thread is kinda amazing :joy: and out of genuine interest: Do you actually feel bad or do you feel bad because you should/are supposed to feel bad about choosing a focus of this nature?

Don’t get me wrong, almost everything can be overdone, plenty of experience with that shit :laughing: but the way I look at it is this:

Making music is undeniably linked to listening to music. They are introduced together or not at all. Without us, the audience, without you, non of this epic would have existed in the first place. You experiencing an artwork like this, focusing on it for period in time, makes you a part of the creative force that brought it forth into the world, wether we want to or not, wether we realize it or not. It’s not meaningless :relieved:

@NickD
I don’t remember needing to take a portal in caria manor. If I remember correctly the “main route” through the manor should lead you relatively straight to him :thinking:

1 Like

I’m probably confused here. I have mapped out Caria Manor, but haven’t done the boss yet (or found any portals). The guy I’m talking about was somewhere in the Sofria River underground zone, but I only saw him once during my early explorations, and haven’t found him since. The map doesn’t really help down there… but I do recall finding a couple of teleporters that move you around the river area. I need to go back down and have a proper expedition now I’m a bit better prepared for the archers.

Oh yeah, i completely forgot, I know which dude you mean, there is a dragonskin soldier there, kinda like a deranged crawling giant right? very confusing since the boss of the caria manor is also a (admittedly slightly less) big dude in water :joy: