Gear that's cheap now but will be unobtainable in 25 years

The Power Handle.

The Behringer MS-101, before they quietly changed the name.

Find the “Inverted Jenny” stamp, of synths.

4 Likes

Then there is the question – Is it collectable, or is it just weird ? The Moog Lap Steel Guitar as for instance. Many other examples of this.

ADDED : Following on with Moog. Actually there is also the rare and interesting. The Moog BFAM, not the DFAM the BFAM !

Moog has others like this too. Anything that comes “out the backdoor” of a name brand company has potential.

2 Likes

Novation BSII is a future classic. One of the best bang for buck mono’s on the market. Has that Roland sound, but can also do it’s own thing very well.

Pick one up while you can for cheap.

3 Likes

Nord drums
Mutable Instruments-Plaits specifically. Couldn’t believe how much their value have already gone up, especially with all the clones. People just want that genuine article.
Synth Tech E352

The maker just announced on someone’s ad that he’s running out of parts for the E352. He’s got about 15 left and once they’re gone, they’re gone for good.

2 Likes

Software is my main concern when it comes to this sort of thing. I started making music decades ago and while I still have my Atari ST and old PC they’re not going to last forever. Even plugins that came out a few years ago might not be supported by the latest operating systems. A good example is NI Absynth which is no longer being developed. It can be a nightmare loading an old project and getting dozens of error messages about missing plugins

2 Likes

Are they hard to come by now?

looks at mine collecting dust

Can’t wait for this thread to morph into an advert for the OP’s Timbre Wolf.

6 Likes

Link please :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I don’t think so but they are cheep now and I’m guessing worth a bit more down the road like sp-303s and so on.

I’ll let you know after I get one :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think the Dave Smith stuff and Oberheim. Two of the handful of masters that were/are still building synth’s that are unique and have a tangible quality to them. Also they feel like instruments when you play them. I think once that is over thru won’t be the same no matter what the badge says. They will be highly sought after because they are special, expensive, and they have a wider appeal… everyone from church keys players, r&b producers, to modular guys etc, know and love them.

3 Likes

Good long term investment, but even the Desktop Evolver from when Sequential was DSI has never really been “cheap”.

Edit: jinx

1 Like

But they’re not cheap now, nor were they ever.

2 Likes

not sure, but if it’s cheap and in desktop module form factor – i likely have it.

2 Likes

I know it’s been said, but I’d agree with Soma Pulsar-23 & Lyra-8.

OTO Machines everything.

I think DT will have a special desirability after of course a cheap fire sale price when something newer is released.

An OG OP-1 will likely be a be a big thing.

2 Likes

Slightly missed the boat now, but the MAM MB33 Retro was a really nice, affordable acid option. Very appealing and now out of production. Used prices are hitting £200 now, maybe they’ll continue to climb.

Most synths that I strongly suspect will become very valuable in the future aren’t exactly cheap now:

• Isla S2400
  • Vermona Perfourmer mk2
  • UDO Audio Super 6

Back to cheap things. Probably anything by Fred’s Lab. Not sure why I’ve not picked up a Buzzzy yet and the Tooro while a little pricey looks really nice.

Oh and the Micromonsta 2.

M8 Tracker.

OG OP-1 can be had for about £600 now, I bet they’ll go up in value again over the next decade. The field is better but the OG has a lofi thing going on that pretty much defines a decade of electronic music.

6 Likes

Get Vlad to sign the unit, and then you do.

One of the things that made me post this in the first place was that I bought the Korg Opsix during that one-day $300 blowout thinking I’d like it better than Digitone. I didn’t, and sold it, and don’t regret it (I’m not a collector and don’t have much space for stuff), but wondered if maybe this is one of those rare things that somebody will use on a famous recording and turn into unobtanium.

2 Likes

A difference between classic gear from the last 20 to 50 years and modern machines is they were associated with artists, genres and sounds from that era. Machines that defined a sound making them collectible so others who loved that sound could make the same music.

That’s not as common now so i wonder if machines will be as desirable in the future also everything will be cloned by behringer so the mystery of making those classic sounds will be gone.

I think interesting and rare machines will still hold value and desire for music makers but not like obsessing for Junos, 303s, moogs etc.

4 Likes

You’re right. I think the OP-1 is that device for the last decade.

2 Likes