Gear that's cheap now but will be unobtainable in 25 years

I didn’t post the one from Scientific American.

4 Likes

Oh God there’s more!?!

1 Like

Don’t hold out on us! I gotta read that…

1 Like

Here’s a few (although most were never what I would consider cheap…)

Toraiz SP-16 and AS-1
Elektron Analog Keys, Analog Drive and Digitone Keys
Fred’s Lab Töörö
Landscape Stereo Field and Noon
Dreadbox Nyx v1
Soma anything
Retro Mechanical Labs anything, especially the one-offs
Folktek modular and semi-modular
Hypersynth Xenophone
JMT noise synths and mics

5 Likes

Good shout with the Analog Drive. Sort of wish I’d picked up a couple more when they were $99.

2 Likes

I would bet Cirklon prices will be crazy. Not that they are cheap today by any stretch - but in 25 years?

1 Like

I doubt that 99% of the surviving human population will care about any of this stuff in 25 years. Which is too bad.

2 Likes

My vote goes here.

(screams in MS2000)

analog 4

1 Like

model samples and model cycles, because they are crazy powerful in open minded hands and also not very sturdy so if they are around in 25 years they will certainly be an interesting find

2 Likes

Lets hope so this will become a classic soon. I got one stowed away in the basement! (Lack of space in the studio)

Jawharp market will skyrocket in 25 years.

3 Likes

Tease! I hope to get one eventually.

Let’s start the negotiations at 5.000 :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Dreadbox Abyss
Gredel drone commander (ammo can version)
Twisted Elektron’s Therapsid & Blastbeats

3 Likes

Someone famous have to make great music with a gear to make it classic. As good as your gear are, if noboby reveal it to the world, it will stay underrated.

3 Likes

I still think that some vintage monos are relatively cheap when compared to the prices of many eurorack modules (how much is Blades or Stages these days.?)

Recently picked up a nice condition MS10 for $600, and currently seeing a SH9 for the same price for sale locally. There is also a Korg 700s for $800.

And yes, Analog keys.

2 Likes

I wonder how much more can be squeezed out of an SH-101 - I’d love to own one but they’re pricey for what they are and I’m not convinced they’ll increase much more in value - but at the same time I don’t see them losing value. It’s a well-loved synth with a lot of creds and is still being used by musicians today.

Seems the prices are pretty turbulent - most of the UK listings are in the £1500 range right now

I guess a bit off topic as it’s not cheap now…

I missed out on a great deal on a Rhodes a couple months back that I kicked myself for. I was hoping it’d still be available when I travelled near where it was located but of course someone else snapped it up.

I think that this is true of today’s classic synths but we live in a very different world now. I think the OP1 will definitely be sought after in 20 years but more because of the cultural zeitgeist it represents than the fame of anyone that used it. Having lots of influential (even if not famous and releasing popular music) people using it will solidify it as a nostalgic experience IMO. I think you’re also right in that those synths will be valuable but I suspect there’ll be a new category of classic synth - that’s the category id put Rings + Beads/Clouds in - the generation being born now will sell their brain chips for that pairing in 20 years.

2 Likes