Haken Continuum Mini worth it?

I would think it is the same as with the internal engine with the 1 full or 2 limited on the mini.

1 Like

That’s what I assumed but was hoping for a different answer.

Yeah if memory serves me correctly it is a physical restriction based on how the mini is built, kind of a shame as I would be really tempted if you could play like a limited 4 notes as that would open it up as a midi controller… but yeah I think the way the sensors are set up it basically can detect either edge you are pushing down so it can’t detect anything between to get more notes. Unlike the full size ones that have sensors and spring pins under the whole thing.

I forget if it’s six or eight, but it doesn’t have the same limitation as when controlled by the mini itself - polyphony is increased.

Edit: I should add this is dependant on the DSP used in the patch itself, but it’s possible to be up to 6/8 voices (I forget which it is exactly - I want to say 8 but t might be 6).

2 Likes

Ok cool, this is the answer I am looking for, the wording of my inquiry might of been a bit confusing. What I read online seemed to say that the mini and the slim are the same in this regards? I have yet to try to use the midi converter they send with their products, hopefully it doesn’t have many issues?

1 Like

Oh woops, yeah I misread I think, and thought you were talking about the poly you would get on midi output from the continuum mini :persevere: sorry about that. I was probably projecting my own desire for the device to have 4 note midi out :sweat_smile:

1 Like

The midi dongle is ok, though I run everything through usb via raspi - better response and means I can have multiple controllers setup.

In terms of mini and slim the DSP is the difference - the mini is the same as the old unexpanded version, whereas the slim has the 6x expansion as standard, meaning increased polyphony of more complex patches and layers etc.

I’d like to try the expanded version but haven’t found much of an issue without it other than reduced polyphony of some patches.

1 Like

If you want to see what’s inside a continuum :

The mini is more like a metal plate mounted on springs.

2 Likes

Do you have a mini and a slim or full size? I wonder if person becomes proficient on the mini how much of that skill transfer over to the slim or is it like learning a different instrument? I feel like if I had a slim or full size I would just sell a bunch of gear and try to become a true master on it. Just seems like that sort of instrument.

1 Like

I’m perhaps the wrong person to ask as I’ve never played a full size and don’t play (or like) the control surface of the mini.

I guess note width wise the two surfaces are comparable, but I’m not a fan of the feel and response of the mini… and really I only ever bought it as a voice module for the Linnstrument (and sensel morph to a lesser extent) that I do like.

I’d love to try the slim but I’m less inclined these days at the price of entry, and having the two controllers I mentioned gives me a ‘poor’ man’s version. What I’d really like is a second morph for more range - that would get me close enough for my needs.

1 Like

From the FAQ on the mini’s product page

The ContinuuMini’s synth engine is up to 8-voice polyphonic, but its playing surface can detect only one (or, in a limited way, two) fingers at a time.

Also of relevance if you use another controller for the mini’s synth engine:

Most EaganMatrix presets are designed assuming much more information about the attack trajectory (not just one 7 bit number), so while the presets will play, they won’t sound the same as they would with a ContinuuMini.

As for DSP power, the mini has 2x processing power (same as the module), while the slim Continuums have 6x, which is 3 times the processing power of a mini or a module (also refer to the spec comparison table on the slims’ product page). Consequently, layers and splits of presets are not feasible on either module or mini.

Check out Joshua Madoff’s unofficial mini playing guide to get an idea on what you’ll be able to do with the mini’s surface: A Complete Guide to Practicing ContinuuMini (Part 1) - YouTube

Personally, I like the mini’s surface, in particular for big slides and its sensitive Z axis. The Linnstrument has the advantage that it is more than just duotactic, so it can access mini’s higher polyphony. Unfortunately, combining both to be played at the same time will lead to dropped voices, an unfortunate side effect of MPE’s channel allocation I’m afraid.

1 Like

That’s not my experience.

You configure the Linnstrument to use no more than eight MIDI channels, so that all the Mini polyphony is used, then all voices play. Unless you mean something else by “dropped”.

The Linnstrument and the ContinuuMini are a great combo. The main hiccup is needing something in the middle to connect them. Unfortunately none of the Haken synths include USB Host functionality.

To connect LS and Cmini “computer-lessly”, I use a CME Widimaster with the LS and a CME Widi uhost with the Cmini. Convenient with only two power plugs.

Alternatively, if it has to be wires, a USB Y cable for the Cmini, a DIN MIDI cable and a USB MIDI cable (power) for the LS and a Kenton MIDI USB hub will do. However, this means 3 power plugs.

Regarding the channel allocation, my experience has indeed been different. I wonder what I have been doing wrong because I have selected no more than 8 channels. Maybe it depends on the preset because, for some presets, one cannot have the full 8-voice polyphony?

Is there a continuum discord channel and if so can someone please share an invite?