Hardware sequencers vs sequencing in the daw

Usually I dont bother recording the midi.

1 Like

Personally I do record MIDI into the DAW. Like I will use the hardware and sequence softsynths this way and then record it. I use the OXI One for this and am going to try this with the Polyend Play as well.

I do this for chords a lot and am really interested in how the Play sequences it’s chords. I plan to mess with that today. If it gives me really good chord progressions and lead ideas then I may not need the Oxi one, since that is typically all I use it for.

But regardless, once I get a change going that I want, I record the MIDI into a clip in Ableton, and then quantize it and add groove to it. To get the groove, I just play all the drum clips I recorded from the MPC or Play at the same time, have an audio channel set to resmaple and grab like 4 bars of that. I then extract the groove from it and use that for everything else.

1 Like

I agree.
Although I end up trapped in a loop most of the time :smile:

1 Like

there are two main sequencing paradigms – circular (loop) and linear.
or some combination of them.

hardware is about circular/loop paradigm for many reasons.
DAWs are about linear paradigm because of tape recorder metaphor (timeline).
btw, notation is about linear paradigm as well, and has the same idea behind – timeline of events.

2 Likes

hardware sequencers, until recently, were just as linear as the DAWs that replaced them. there’s no reason they can’t (and should) do both

Fully agree

1 Like