Help analyze the popularity of Mexican Radio - Wall of Voodoo 1982

He usually is.*

(* Except when it’s about any kind of electronic music. He unashamedly called Portishead and EBTG “techno” and “drum and bass”.)

2 Likes

I’m going to investigate that claim.

2 Likes

damn, then i’m really upset with upcoming 2030s to 2050s, since they’re going to revive 2000s to 2020s crap.

3 Likes

There’s a lot of super talented artists who never lucked out into awareness and distribution, what you say is certainly true but it’s like wondering what Weird Al would’ve been without Dr Demento’s radio show.

EBTG did have d&b rhythmic influences at least, Lamb moreso. No points for Portishead and techno over hip hop through. Acid Jazz was much more d&b than trip-hop.

The post-punk influence in new wave is plain, but I’m curious what elements you’re thinking of here that could either be a nod or the general zeitgeist.

3 Likes

Dr. Demento played Mexican Radio in 1983.

PART ONE: Uh Oh, Plastic Heart, Renaissance of Smut, Louie Louie, Used Pet Shop, Asiatic Flu, Phone Company, In Heaven There is no Beer, Stink-foot, Radio Dogs, Mexican Radio, Whistle Bait, Comb my Hair, Buffalo, Tumor Feb 6, 1983

3 Likes

First, there’s no question weird al would be programming software or washing dishes without the exposure of dr demento’s weird ray of sunshine.

As per the talking heads, it’s mostly the singer, his vocal presentation (not as violent as byrne) and head turning (not as dramatic), almost more a mockery of talking heads than a direct faccimile. I see a lot of what the todd fellow was talking about in the devo influence, but there is a byrne who isn’t always doing coordinated dances or having epileptic fits on stage and some of that is coming out of ridgway, but only as part of wall of voodoo.

The stuff which is shown of his solo career delves completely into the realm of a wayne newton version of dustin diamond’s desire to be johnny cash.

Yes, screech from saved by the bell dustin diamond.

1 Like

“Mexican Radio” always makes me think of not just Mariachi (I never lived in Southern California, my interactions with pirate radio were unlicensed Reggae broadcasters in South Florida, eventually extinguished by the FCC) but the million megawatt stations in the early bits of the 19th century that probably also torched birds within a small radius of the antenna.

I know it’s different contextually to the song, but so much of political PR, cultural propagation of certain American folk musics (Carter sisters and the like), AM talk radio nutraceutical plugging and now podcasts can be attributed back to one particular whackdoodle whose broadcasts spanned the world in a pre-internet time.

Oh yes, and who implanted goat testicles in living men and women “for virility”. That dude has way too much influence on 2023 daily life, from PR flacks to Goop to podbros.

2 Likes

Oh wow. I forgot about this song completely. Little 13 year old me knew every word to this track. Haha.

1 Like

Lil 13 year old me sounds like the unironic name of the next big cloud rap sensation.

2 Likes

Thank you for bringing back childhood memories of listening to Dr. Demento on LA radio in the late 70s / early 80s.

Sent the youtube link to my own early/mid-teen kids, who will probably just chalk it up to more old weird stuff that dad likes!

2 Likes

Rainn Wilson did a outstanding and hilarious job playing Dr Demento, even if the movie was as much camp and parody as Weird Al himself.

2 Likes

I’ve been thinking about this. I think the videos may have made a difference as to whether something was a hit or not, but beyond that, there was a certain goofiness to the musical production. There are artists in this category that managed a decent career without ever having a breakout video [The Jazz Butcher, Was (Not Was)] but the video probably amplifies the dilemma. I hated the Buggles’ “Video Killed The Radio Star” and loved Thomas Dolby’s “She Blinded Me With Science”, but with time, I recognize the latter as a catchy but silly frill (there are contemporaneous songs of his that are genuinely deeper and more moving, so it is not an overall shallowness), and the former as a brilliant song initially disguised by a quirky production (I initially preferred the cover by Bruce Hornsby and the Range, but now don’t). I was dumbfounded when Trevor Horn joined Yes (it felt like Groucho Marx being appointed to the Supreme Court) but in retrospect it wasn’t a bad choice: everything was in motion, people were trying to stay on their feet and relevant.

An oddball or novelty approach can help gather attention initially, but a musician should probably have some substance at hand for others to discover.

5 Likes

Don’t give a fuck what anyone says….love that song.

Which one?

this one I assume.

but on a more productive note, this statement:

is probably going to be etched in marble someday.

I actually, have also been thinking about this topic pretty heavily because it’s more of a mindfuck than it initially would appear. I’m also intent on figuring out where I find the connection between this band which I’m pretty ambiguous about at best, and talking heads who I’ve always been a big fan of. So my theory is that since my instincts are usually pretty good about drawing comparisons though not always fleshed out initially, if I take a scientific approach to this I bet I can find the evidence I’m looking for regarding precisely where I find the parallel.

Stay tuned for further mayhem.

Anyways nice follow up analysis, a lot of useful bits were purged.

2 Likes

Really? Subject.

But any song I like for that matter. Could care less what someone else’s opinion is. :wink:

I love blasting…

…while driving around :slight_smile:

I don’t blast music while driving around, I don’t think others should be forced to listen to what I’m listening to. But you get my drift

1 Like

Okay. It directly followed my post where I brought up two other songs, so I wasn’t sure.

We each like what we like, and dislike what we dislike, but I try to examine that feeling in myself, and often benefit from the thoughts of others even when they come to a different conclusion.

:thinking:

I musta hit the wrong reply button. Was meant to be reply to initial post. My mistake. Sorry.

1 Like

No, I think you probably did the right thing. But the forum doesn’t always show the “reply to” indication in case of an immediate reply. I didn’t get a notification of a reply from yours, that should have alerted me.

2 Likes
2 Likes