Help me buy very good laptop

I am in a hololens project (augmented reality), and my mbp early 2011 quad i7 doesn’t work properly :frowning:
now I need a new one… never bought Microsoft… pretty disappointed about apple at the moment, and since I have to program for a hololens with visual studio… i think i’d better buy a windows 10 machine…

but what to buy?

No idea… really no idea… i use apple since 15 year.

HP, Lenovo, Dell?

Special video card, or what things do i have to take care of?
I thought… elektonauts might be good at this… so any help is welcome…

i think max price is around 2500 euro

Looking for power I would check out:

• ASUS ZenBook
  • Dell XPS

Asus is quite powerful and at a lower price than Dell, both come with different video cards (mid- to high end) and may be - due to CPU and GPU power - also be used as platforms for gaming. Both should be available with standard and high performance i7 CPUs (e.g. for over-clocking).

I have got an ASUS … and I am very satisfied with it’s power, built quality, and reliability.

Most power in notebooks are, I think, in

• ASUS ROG series
  • MSI GT or G* series

All of them come with up-to-date NVidia graphic subsystems. NVidia supports to use the GPU for some kind of parallel computing also.

Lenovo are OK. Use one for work and it’s solid af.

At home I’ve always used Sony Vaio. Been very good workhorses for me, running ableton and traktor without any issues, and the standard soundcard is pretty usable.

As with all pcs there’s a load of Sony bloatware to dispose of, but once gone they have been solid machines. In fact I currently own two I’m that happy with them.

Ymmv though, as I suspect you’ll need the highest spec out there and I’m not sure what the high spec machines are like.

I use since about 15 years differnt Lenovo Thinkpads, even the one i had 10 years ago is still running stable, but i upgraded because of performance reasons. Mostly they come with Intel HD graphic which is probably not the best choice for gaming but is enough for everyday business usage.

The Thinkpad is very linux capable and runs with standard drivers for touchpad etc. It comes with Win 10 64 bit, but its easy to install Grub so you can still have a GCC envioremnt installed if you prefer to.

I would stay away fom Toshiba - at least the consumer modells. I had a business Toshiba and the same model in the consumer version - the consumer version was significantly more instable with heat problems, while the same but 1000€ more expensive business version was perfectly fine.

I would recommend that you check if a business version is avilalbe or at least that there is no extra business line.

Dell XPS
Microsoft Surface / Book
ASUS ROG Series
RAZER blade PRO

i5 or i7 / 8 or 16 GO RAM / SSD for system + Data Storage (if possible)

Don’t know about the latest model but I wouldn’t really recommend my surface pro 3 i7 for ‘power’. Gets mega hot and seems to buckle pretty easy when pushed. Especially when using battery not mains.

For a tablet/convenience it’s a beast, but my Scan purpose built audio laptop destroys it for performance. Apparently the pro 3 has ‘throttling’, I’m not too savvy with computers under the hood but maybe I can fiddle around and get better performance. Haven’t really needed to tho as I only use it for tablet/photoshop/scratch pad duties…

1 Like

I have a surface… will never buy it again…

1 Like

System requirements…

The Windows 10 SDK works best on the Windows 10 operating system. This SDK is also supported on Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Server 2012, Windows Server 2008 R2. Note that not all tools are supported on older operating systems. Visual Studio 2015 also has hardware requirements.

The HoloLens emulator is based on Hyper-V and uses RemoteFx for hardware accelerated graphics. To use the emulator, make sure your PC meets these hardware requirements:

64-bit Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, or Education (The Home edition does not support Hyper-V or the HoloLens emulator)
64-bit CPU
CPU with 4 cores (or multiple CPU’s with a total of 4 cores)
8 GB of RAM or more
In the BIOS, the following features must be supported and enabled:
Hardware-assisted virtualization
Second Level Address Translation (SLAT)
Hardware-based Data Execution Prevention (DEP)
GPU (The emulator might work with an unsupported GPU, but will be significantly slower)
DirectX 11.0 or later
WDDM 1.2 driver or later
If your system meets the above requirements, please ensure that the “Hyper-V” feature has been enabled on your system through Control Panel -> Programs -> Programs and Features -> Turn Windows Features on or off -> ensure that “Hyper-V” is selected for the Emulator installation to be successful.

I hear people saying I should not buy Laptop but a small PC… because of the GPU

No idea…

Only you will know if a desktop or a laptop best suits your needs. Bottom line - desktops offer more power at cheaper prices.

Though I only really use my laptop in one room 90% of the time I just didnt want the thought of being tethered to one spot so I went with a laptop!

Dell’s XPS range is pretty much the best all round option going just now. For me, big thing to look out for, is USB C ports (essential IMO) and screen quality. Dell’s screen (the top model) is simply amazing.

USB-C is more of a long term thing. It will make connecting things easier and more convenient. Also, as you hav ementioned GPU, you will likely see the growth in external GPU docks over the coming 12-24 months. ie. have the GPU power of a desktop when at home but still have the ability to pick up and go where you like with the laptop for other things. I’m certain the XPS range now comes with the newer 1050 NVIDIA chips now anyway and they’ll handle a fair amount of GPU work.

didn’t like Surface keyboard… didn’t like the feel of the machine…
didn’t like it I couldn’t hold it on my lap… in trains

but main thing is the keyboard… I sit in front of a computer too often to work with something like this…

Maximum mobile CPU and GPU power should be available in gaming notebooks of

• ASUS
  • MSI
  • or equivalent

At least those two brands are well respected in the gaming community. Check the type of GPU you need for your application and compare it to the notebooks on offer. Gaming notebooks are supposed to have almost the power of top-class desktop units, but are much more expensive. Just look at this:

and check it’s specs. The only thing, which should not be expected, is long-time working on battery. Mobility those notebooks have, but more in the sense that you can take it with you … and never forget your power-supply :wink:

if you want power, check the schenker xmg notebooks. they are close to desktop specs I would say and the design aint bad too.
https://www.mysn.de/xmg-advanced-gaming-laptops

I’ve had nothing but trouble with the lenovo I purchased for school last year

after asking a lot of people, getting a lot of different answers, I have the perfect solution.

Someone gives me his quad core 16 gig ram laptop… for free…

For me… the MSI was the best one since it had good GPU. it is what I need, I see now.
But… I don’t want a multi color and super big laptop…
so… I am happy with the free laptop and will find out later…

1 Like