Hip hop made with the Digitakt

My contribution to the JFilts challenge 5.
I tryied a new workflow. This time I tracked the DT into a DAW to finish the beat.
Added some plugins in post like compressor, EQ and cassette emulator.
Drums are resampled into the DT then recorded to the DAW thru my PERfourMER to use his analog filter. This give an extra warm and punch I love it.
I think I will dig this workflow.

Here is the beat:

10 Likes

Here is a beat I made with the Digitakt. I continue to dig my new workflow.
I made the beat on the digitakt after jaming and trying thing. When I was happy with it, I tracked out drums, melodies, voices to my DAW (studio one) and added a bassline and noise texture.
Finally, added 12 bit DAC and cassette emulator to try to have this 90ā€™s vibe.
I donā€™t messed up with compressors, EQs, or any ā€œawsome expensive plugin that make your sound better but in fact that change nothing or itā€™s just worstā€
Love the Digitakt sound, so I kept it as raw as possible.

7 Likes

Back to the roots: I made this beat only with DT. Sampling on the fly, playing live and recorded without any plugins added post.

Iā€™m the worst sound mixer of all time because each time I want to add plugins to improve the sound, itā€™s sound just worst than output of the DT alone.
Or maybe the DT is so well that it need nothing else ! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@blaize I really like those last 2 beats you postedā€¦ nice crunchy boom bap vibesā€¦
feeling like iā€™m back in the 90ā€™s in the best kind of wayā€¦

2 Likes

Oh man this thread makes me wanna use my DT for some boom bap goodness. Itā€™s like a mini SP1200.

3 Likes

Thank you, Iā€™m trying to work in that way. I want to catch the french late 90ā€™s hip hop vibes. Itā€™s hard because you have to stay simple and there is so much power under the machine now that itā€™s difficult to restrict yourself :slight_smile:
But thanks for your comment Iā€™m glad you feel it.

1 Like

Go for it, the DT is better than the SP1200 imo. Itā€™s much more versatile and you have every features that existed in SP and more and far better sequencer.
If you want the crunch and grit, no problem, just resample. But the DT is 16 bits, so you have to go higher in pitch and resample back to get this high frequency cut off and aliasing. The DT have his own soul and I think its a force today where everyone making beats on computer with the same sounds.
The 90ā€™s era wonā€™t come back, but we can just rollback and be inspired by the vibe and limits to make modern beats with modern gears.

4 Likes

Hi everyone, I thought I would save and track out some beats before upgrading the Digitakt.

Hereā€™s a selection of a few different beats all within the same project and chained together.
I think Iā€™ll do that as standard now so I donā€™t run out of project slots too quickly.

5 Likes

Hello, new beat here. My contribution to the monthly challenge by JFilt from verysickbeats youtube channel.
Itā€™s my first beat on Digitakt OS 1.20. So cool new feature.
I sampled a drum break from Youtube (Ryo Kawasaki - Raisin) and used the new TRIG + YES feature to chop it quickly and take one shot hits.
Again, the melodie is mostly build with TRIG+YES on the sample.
The bassline come from my PERfourMER, and I used the new step record mode to build it.
Very cool way for making bassline.
Recorded one shot in Studio One, added vinyl crackle, preamp plugin from arturia and a limiter on the main mix. Thatā€™s it. Pretty vanilla Digitakt / PERfouMER sounding.
I tried to keed it simple, itā€™s just a beat, not a track. Hope you enjoy.

8 Likes

Love it!

1 Like

Using the high gain circuit in my Analog Heat >>

2 Likes

@blaize awesome beats brother! When you resample, are talking about pitching up the sample to max, recording and then pitching back down again to get more grit and high frequency cutoffs?

Iā€™m going to need to try this on some of my more ā€œshinyā€ & ā€œcleanā€ samples and beats.

I also had an idea I want to try out soon. More of a sound design thing, but a needle drop for the beginning of each track sort of mimicking a real record starting for each part (needle drop for kick track coming in / needle drop for snare track coming in / needle drop for baseline coming in / etc) and once you have all the tracks going I wanted to drop them up by using a needle lift sample. Not too over the top or anything. Stuff always sounds good in my head. :slightly_smiling_face: Real life though it doesnā€™t always work :joy:

Thanks man.

Yes that exactly what I do. I usually pitch up my sample between +7 and +18 and resample it to the next pad, then pitch back and resample it again. The more you go up, the more itā€™s lofi. You can spice up the process by adding a litle of bit reduction, drive, and adjusting the compressor before resampling. I also like to LP and boost high with resonance after pitch back to bring back a bit of high freq but with the grit. Sometime I resample again a last time with HP with resonance boost approx 100hz on the drum break to get extra punch on the kick drum.

Good idea, try it and you will see. What itā€™s cool with the DT itā€™s sometime you go in a total different territory and itā€™s just sound cool. Donā€™t forget the music just have to sound good, there is no rules :wink:

3 Likes

aka. How to get your Digitakt to have that ā€œSP1200ā€ soundā€¦ :fire: :sunglasses:

1 Like

Still new to the Digitakt. Had a friend rap over the 1st 2 beats I made with it

3 Likes

https://soundcloud.com/apollox-3/2019-archives beat i made a while back, lmk yā€™all feedback

2 Likes

Very nice Beats! I like the beats you get out of this machine, and props for keeping this thread alive!

I also often like the sound of the raw DT output better than if I mix it properly in the box. The only thing I often add is some compression/eq to the stereo master as I record it, but the DT seems to have a kind of clean yet raw sound I really loveā€¦

1 Like

Thanks man. Yeah, I think you can get a very professional sound by mixing in a DAW, but :
1/ Iā€™m not sound engeneer and more I trying things, more it sound crap.
2/ Finally, I prefer jamming my beats than track out and arranging in a DAW. There is more unpredictable things happens in jamming, and Itā€™s more alive I hope.
3/ The sound signature of the DT is cool, I tried the same samples with the same beat in a DAW and in the DT, itā€™s sound really differents.

This thread is golden :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello, new beat here. I sampled a song for kids from a very old dusty vinyl 45RPM I found at my grand parents house.
I tried something new this time, I didnā€™t dirt up too much my drums, the sample is already dirt as fuck. I used ā€œmodern drumsā€
I also tried to take advantage of the elektron sequencer with cond trig to make drums less linear than classic MPCā€™s hip hop.
I tried to use subtle settings of the master compressor to keep a max of dynamics.
The bassline come from my lovely Vermona PERfourMER MKII, and itā€™s recorded separatly and mixed with the beat in Studio One.
Added a compressor and a limiter on the main bus to glue the DT and the PERfourMER, and here is the beat:

7 Likes

Nice beat, love it, very clean and chill. Old school vibe.

1 Like