Home studio plan: Am I setting myself up for failure?

I hope these are nonlethal traps and that energy is safely released outside…!

resurrecting an old one here, but this just reminded me of something:

I used to put a catalogue together for a client and they had a section on ‘pest control’, that included a whole section of ‘animal traps’, and then a further smaller section of ‘humane animal traps’.

by extension that meant that the first section must have effectively been the ‘inhumane’ range.
it just used to make laugh how the conversations must have gone in store.
Customer: I’m after a squirrel trap.
Store: would that be the humane squirrel trap, sir.
Customer: No. No it would not.

Why do i still find this so funny, nearly ten years later?

1 Like

Your drawings are great! The scale, detail and lighting are so informative. How did you make them? Did a tool do a lot of the work, or are you trained in this kinda thing?

Using Google Sketch or Blender you can easily get a result like this :slight_smile: Not trained in making blueprints or maps but I have overlapping skills

1 Like

Just do your best with acoustic treatment but dont over think it or think that youll get it perfect.

Headphones good when doing your kick bass etc. My room a bit off on the low end so its always worth doing a bit it the phones and a bit on the speakers.

1 Like

Just searched “humane bass traps”, got nothing. Business opportunity for sure. Can sell as an add-on to A4 or those filters without resonance compensation…

1 Like

I spend 95%+ of my music-making time playing, experimenting, etc, and only a tiny part mixing. I much prefer speakers for all of it, to the extent that I rarely make music if I have to use headphones.

What I’m saying is that, unless you are professionally mixing a lot of the time, you might not need all that room treatment. Just curtains, a rug, and as much soft stuff as you can fit in the place.

Use headphones to mix, perhaps, or just listen to your mixes on airpods, kitchen and car speakers etc to learn how your mixes translate.

Terrible advice I know, but not all of us need fully treated rooms.

Thanks for the advice. Just to give an update: I didn’t end up treating the room in the sense of bass traps and the lot. I do however have a pretty high open closet full of books and fabrics, which seems to help. There’s still a couple brown notes when I play bass that really seem to shake up the whole space compared to others, but you learn to ignore it somehow haha. I listen back to my stuff on open ear headphones, which are not very bass heavy obviously, so I feel like somewhere between my speakers and my headphones lies the truth. I’m still looking for the right rug to cover 70-80% of the room’s floor, turns out I’m picky when it comes to rug aesthetics haha.

Cheers to everyone who helped with great advice, and an extra one to the ones telling me not to worry too much. It really is true that you get used to the imperfections in a space, it kinda doesn’t matter that much at all unless you’re going pro

That’s a great share, and I believe he helped Broadcast mix their album so…

Old 90’s studio setups are a great way to help with this.

Everytime i have setup a spare room as a studio, and it’s been a long time since I’ve done that, it’s always had acoustic issues, mainly due to their being too much space and not enough stuff to fill it it or treat it. I think bedroom artists stuff always sounded ok as there was always a massive bed their, carpet, clothes, shit everywhere and studio gear just piled in a corner with some domestic speakers and crap headphones. And we lived in that room so ultimately you knew what music should sound like.

Not overthinking too much, prepare for changes, don’t invest heavily in fixed setups, like drilling into walls etc and as others have said just make music in there and be prepared to hit issues and mixes sounding off initially, but they will even in a high-end studio until your used to it.

Often thinking I should change my studio to the setup below. Seemed to work quite well.

Good luck and enjoy the spare room, that’s very cool.

1 Like

Completely un-music related but, if you can, consider rehanging the door to open outwards and liberate a little extra space and have it feel less cramped :slightly_smiling_face: