How much do returns hurt stores?

It really does. I was bummed.

given how much info is available to inform my decision to buy, unless it is broken I never return. If it don’t fit that’s on me and I move it along, selling on my own…

Is this a global thing, because in Australia I don’t think there’s a culture of returning items unless they’re faulty or damaged.

1 Like

i used to work at a music store selling instruments and studio gear. what pissed me off the most were the people that bought stuff and were very obviously going to return it in a couple days after their gig or recording session

not only was my commission taken away after the return, but i was left with a returned item that no one in the future would feel inclined to buy since it was then technically used, open box, or just obviously not pristine. the only way said items would sell is if they were completely blown out, hence no room for commission on the sale for me, and no profit for the shop. trust me, sales guys have plenty to me annoyed by shit like that.

my shop was a lot smaller than perfect circuit so i’m sure they’d be fine with a return, but you’d be surprised how not profitable music stores actually are. returns have a ripple effect, which is why it’s better to just resell on your own if possible. thank god i’m out of that line of work

Yeah this isn’t really a thing in New Zealand. Trying to return something just cos you didn’t like it would get you strange looks- I don’t think there’s any legal obligation on them either. Defective sure, but ‘this isn’t as fun as I expected’ is not gonna fly.

I try not to get involved in moral dilemmas, but I feel for you here!

You have a right to get a working device first time. I’m not impressed with TE quality control or aftercare, I’ve bought 9 POs, only 5 still work, and I case them with the clear perspex cases which are very strong.

The OP-Z I bought from them felt flimsy, luckily I sold it on before all the reports of bending and double-trigging began emerging.

Sometimes the law and morality dont quite match up. In the UK by law you have 14 days to return anything you bought online. Some people use it to continually try out music gear for free.

Technically legal, but for me personally (Im not judging anyone else, we all answer to our ourselves ultimately) I wouldnt do that, it feels wrong. I would however do what you did, because it wasnt your fault to receive a broken product, you bought it in good faith, and ultimately the outcome is the same as if you’ve returned it to TE, minus the hassle.

It’s tough, these are (often) expensive instruments and we really don’t get a chance to try them first most of the time.

I don’t like returning things, but I also think a return policy is fair when it isn’t taken advantage of. Surprised to hear it isn’t looked kindly upon in some countries!