How to clear rec buffer memory?

Someone asked this somewhere else, how do you clear a recorder buffer ? If I record something, make a mistake, then want to re-record, it says its out of memory.

Also, I dont know how, but I re-named my Recorder 1 and cant change it back. Any ideas ?
Thanx.

1 Like

I´m not sure if I´m following you correctly.

Do you mean that this happens when the sequencer is running, and you just want to re-record into the same recorder buffer while the sequencer is still running?

Are the recorder action initiated by the sequencer or by you manually (that is: disconnected from the sequencer or not)?

Regarding re-naming the Recorder 1, I didn´t even know that you could do that: but you ARE really talking about the name that you see in the slot list (starting with the 8 recorder buffers, and then goes on down with the sample slot list 1-127)?

Or do you mean what you are seeing beside the (among others) part information in the normal (i e playback) page for that track?

I think it´s possible to have an sample loaded into the recorder buffer, and still have some recorder trigs in the sequencer recording into the buffer. Thus overwriting what´s there (but never saved I guess). In that case I think it would been seen as the sample name loaded (in i e the playback page) instead of seeing the “recorder buffer” name. As such it would be a mix of the two abovementioned “naming” questions. That is: the recorder buffer pre-loaded with a sample.

Maybe you´re able to post some pics if it´s hard explaining it in words…

to put it bluntly: the whole buffer is emptied each time you change the recorder settings (i.e. change recording quality)
however if you’re referring to a single track - every track buffer constantly re-records (overwrites) each time you trigger it and it records for as long as you have the recording set or how much memory you have left.
mind you, the OT only has 80-smth MB of ram and it records to ram only! so, if you’re using flex machines and long samples in said flexes, then you’re bound to run out of memory fast. bear in mind that as soon as you put a sample on the flex sample list, it’s already being loaded to the ram!

Ok so not sure what I did but it seems ok now. Maybe I did put a sample in the recorder 1 slot.
Regarding the record buffer, its when I want to record say a loop from a record (as in vinyl) so I press record and track 1, and it records, but I want to do it again (level was too low or whatever) and the record memory is full.
Anyway I will try again, its probably something silly I’m doing so leave me to investigate further.
Thanx.

Yeah I did the same.
I guess the thing to do is not do it in the first place.
Thanx for the reply.

I’m away from my OT at the moment but this has happened to me too…I think it’s when you choose “assign to self” after you have taken a sample. There is a way to clear the assignment but I only ever find it by digging through the menus and it’s not named as logically as one would hope…I can’t remember off the top of my head where it lives.

This is of course compounded by the fact that, unless I’m mistaken, neither of these menu items are mentioned anywhere in the manual.

Hi, in case you are still wondering how to revert back to the rec buffer default.

save your sample if needed.

then to clear it, go to the sample edit page and select “clear slot”

this will revert it back to recorder 1 or what ever track it was on.

4 Likes

Thanx
So would that clear the recorder buffer yes.

That was me and I found no solution. The Project was more or less corrupt. I was able to reproduce the message in another recorder buffer. Clearing the Slot did not work. Those slots were if you will preoccupied.

I’m having the issue that the thread title mentions. I clear the sample using “clear slot” and it doesn’t clear the sample out. Let me see if I can explain what’s happening:
-I start off with flex machines with “recording1,” “recording2”, etc. (new to the OT, but as far as I can tell, those names signify recording buffers, right?)
-I record a sample to a track, in this case track 2. I save it under a new name: “bass riff”. I have that saved, and i decide I now want to move on and do some new recording using one shot recording trigs. And I want the sample to start playing as soon as it’s recorded, so I’ll need to put down some trigs to trigger the sample once it’s recorded. But I don’t want it to start playing “bass riff”: that part of the song is over. The proverbial audience has moved past that. No one wants to hear that old bass riff anymore.
-I look for a sample called “recording2” to load back onto the flex machine so I can get a fresh start, and those trigs I lay down in anticipation will trigger silence, like they did when my track building started
-I see there’s no “recording2” option in my file list. Must need to clear the slot, I think to myself.
-I use the “clear slot” command from the recording menu and voila: I now have an empty “recording2” file I can use.
-I lay down those trigs to prepare for my one shot recording, thinking they’ll trigger silence, but what do they trigger? That old bass riff.
-I can go and clear it out by going to “clear slot” again, but that means I’ve now cleared the slot twice. And that all takes a lot of fiddling on stage. How can I make sure that “clear slot” actually clears the slot?

1 Like

We wait patiently for rusty’s octa “save a headache” edit.

To Midilifestyle:

So you have recorded a sample on recorder 2 and assigned it to “self”. Now in the sample slot list position 2 says “bass riff” instead of “recorder2”.

The flex machine has been assigned to slot list position 2. The sequencer trig plays whatever is there, no matter whether it’s a recording buffer or a sample from memory.

The first clear slot -command disassociates the sample from that slot position and reverts it back to recorder2. If you had just recorded your bass riff, it’s still in recording buffer 2, so “nothing happens”, as you said. The second clear slot -command clears the recording buffer, resulting in silence. (You can also do this in slot list FUNC + CLEAR).

So yes, it’s a two stage process. I guess the logic is that in live situation, while your bass riff is playing, you can record something else to buffer 2, and revert to that by clearing the sample slot association. There are countless different workflows with this machine, which results as these kind of procedures, like double clearing to get silence.

This thread saved my bacon. Thanks!

1 Like

quick question…how do I assign a recording buffer back to a track? I sliced a sample in the AED on track 5, went to the FILE section and chose SAVE AND ASSIGN SAMPLE, then selected ASSIGN TO SELF. I usually choose ASSIGN TO FREE FLEX, but thought I would try “to self” this time. Now, the recording buffer R5 has been replaced with the sample (no surprise here), but how can I put the recorder back? Thanks in advance

Check what @Snowbird said above:

2 Likes

Awesome! thanks for merging and providing info :sweat_smile:

1 Like