How to start giving online private lessons?

Okay good - thanks for thinking along Nate

I’m probably a bit sensitive myself in this thread, cause simply that I’m trying to get myself motivated to dare and try something; whilst usually I’m very hesitant and thus not really ever instigating things. So I wanna just try and dive in naively and then figure things out from there.

1 Like

Makes sense and I do now understand what you’re saying, you’re not interested in ‘content creation’ which makes sense - and you’re right to focus on what you want to do, getting distracted with that as a means to another end can be draining and is a job in and of itself.

There’s definitely gaps in the Elektron education sphere though and things people frequently struggle with. I’m not sure I’ve seen others offering lessons so I’m sure there’s a market! Wish you luck with it!

1 Like

Yeah that was my thinking.

Also, I see the weirdest stuff being advertised on the local classifieds. Who knows, maybe there’s something there. I could imagine for example people with enough income but little time to watch Youtube tutorials, preferring some affordable lessons to get started.

I’d also just like to try it as a learning experience for myself.

1 Like

Offer 5 or so members here (or some other forum etc.) a handful of lessons for free and let those members go on and get you paying customers.

3 Likes

I am glad you don’t mention monsteras :triumph:ahahah

1 Like

I have considered lessons like this for my Rytm. But it would have to be contextualised to what I want to make: indie rock, hiphop. R&B.
Probably better than the endless time spent watching videos.

1 Like

I have one and I love it :grin:

I haven’t read everyone’s comments, but I recommend OBS. You can mix different audio and video sources, and it isn’t that complicated - I bet there are tons of tutorials out there.
Here’s a screenshot of how I do my online classes, and a brief description of what I use:

• I use my main Macbook webcam pointing at me, while I also use a secondary (generic) webcam to show (in this case) a Digitakt. The quality is not great, but 4K cameras were out of my budget atm (I live in Argentina where technology is usually much more expensive, unfortunately) so this one will do for now, at least until I get more students ;). I’ve since added a color acetate on top of my DT’s screen, which improved the visibility of the top left reframing quite a bit.

• in the bottom right I have this software called Paintbrush, which is open source iirc, to illustrate some ideas visually (can be very helpful).

• I use LoopBack to mix Digitakt’s standalone app with my mic input.

I think that’s pretty much it! then it’s a matter of personal preference (how you want to divide the screen, etc.) I’ll edit the post if I remember anything else. As someone else said, if you’re on Mac’s enviroment, you can use your iPhone as a webcam (I have a very old one which has a terrible front camera, plus it was a bit more troublesome with my older OS’ so I switched to the generic one).

And while we’re at it, and hoping you don’t mind the self-promoting: I give Elektron online lessons in both spanish and english :nerd_face: I don’t own all machines, but I have a few and greatly enjoy sharing the knowledge I’ve gathered through years of intense nerdism. You can see some of that in action here.