If you went back in time 30 years with your current gear, do you think you’d be a success?

That’s all it takes! You’d be in tune with the element of the day. Confession: I was listening to 2 Unlimited back then, so maybe I’d be listening to you.

2 Likes

USB wasn’t introduced until '96 so I think there would mostly be lots of frustration :smiley:

I think I’d use my futuristic gear to entice musicians to hang out with me. Boards of Canada and Aphex Twin would get a real kick out of some of my current synths and drum machines!

Does my raspberry pi count as gear?

1 Like

I’d fight like maniac to keep poker machines out of pubs and venues.

If successful, there’d be a few thousand more successful musicians today.

4 Likes

Time traveling Octatrack users would be happy

3 Likes

Maybe? But I just make music that sounds like it’s 30 years old.

‘A CompactFlash card (CF card) is a memory card format developed by Sandisk in 1994

Are you sure? :stuck_out_tongue:

Taking a grand piano fishing sounds like a logistical nightmare

4 Likes

I would probably end up procrastinating some other way, still not making music when I know I should - like right now for example.

1 Like

I would have been very successful if i went back in time 30 years with the gear and knowledge i have now. Not least in part because back then not everything had been done already :man_shrugging:

1000% yes.

I’d be a huge success. I’d sell all that gear to some nerdy science company, take that cash and invest it in various tech companies I know will take off.

Present me would own an island, a yacht, and a few helicopters, and I’d have gold toilets.

2 Likes

We haven’t had any new genres since the 90s only tempo changes…
DnB 45rpm -> Dubstep is 33rpm
Techno 135 -> Techno 150
Trance 140 -> Melodic Techno 130
Hip Hop 80-95 -> Grime/Drill 70/140

What has changed is formats like CDJ, Digital Distribution, Loss of Record Stores and Loss of Physical Distributors, rise of Napster, Soulseek, Spotify, YouTube, having to maintain a gotdamned Social Media presence, lots of really cool synths/drum machines and much faster computers/internet!

…exactly that question crossed my mind this winter…

sitting in front of my actual m1 mbp with bitwig 4, klakking around on my ot and st next to it, humming into my sm7 and catched me out of the sudden thinking this…

hmmmmm, what if…me, that little set up and whoooosh back to early 90ies…

oooooo my gooodness…it’s really been never that easy to sound simply good and that complexly huuuge…if my 90ies mindset would have had that gear support at all time disposal, all sonic outcome would be totally unpredictable but history changing for sure…and i had to stop picturing such a scenario right away…

Yeah, they invented it just after I went back in time, but carelessly bent a pin on my OT and had to sell the CF technology to SanDisk so they could build me a replacement.

Unfortunately it took them years to make one with more than 2MB, so I used my Akai rack sampler for all the hits I produced under pseudonyms. You might remember Blue by Eiffel 65, crazy frog, and Saturday night by Whigfield. You’re welcome.

1 Like

It’s my life’s quest to make it work. In a rowing boat.

1 Like

Quality does require quantity or, as you’ve put it, “a lot of woodshedding”. To become successful, you also need to finish what you’ve started, oftentimes, otherwise your brain develops a habit of not finishing. Eventually, we are our own biggest obstacle during the whole process.

Unfortunately i don’t think i’d have any success because my mpc one would try to check in plugins by connecting to a server which doesn’t exist yet :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

maybe a 50-50 chance as much has to do with luck and connections versus talent or gear.

Forget success, If I had this gear back then with all that time, energy and creativity I’d be in my glory!