If you went back in time 30 years with your current gear, do you think you’d be a success?

No!

But if I brought my 30 year ago self, with no internet and no guidance back then, but some good ideas and drive to now, then maybe I could put some of those good ideas towards making the kind of music I was listening to then, and still am.

30 yrs ago i bought a bass station1
i still have it , still works, still looks as new… though the box has gone.
still waiting for firmware updates… now that we’re the internet generation i demand it. (i dont really… it’s a joke).

wish i’d kept my 202 , it was also v.good condition, boxed etc…
got rid of w30 … timing on it was pretty bad if you used the menu’s while playing a track.
got rid of juno 106 - it was big and annoying when i moved house / living in shared houses with 1 room to keep my gear in.
the music i made was lofi, a bit aphex/autechre/lfo like… perhaps i wouldve found ‘my own style’… but i didnt… and here we are…still buying gear … chasing that one piece of equipment thatll be the spark for creativity…trying to ignore the actual reality that i should sell everything …

if i had my current gear… i’d probably use it as much as i do now (i.e. not much)

1 Like

Given that my music has no mass appeal now, I would assume it would have no mass appeal then. But since I was around and gigging in the 90s, I can say for certain my music also did not have mass appeal then.

2 Likes