I'm genuinely thinking about buying a laptop and Ableton. Talk me out of it

buying refurbished from Apple will give you brand new batterry

1 Like

Worth a read…

IF I was buying secondhand I’d limit it to the newer M1, M2 models.

we shouldnt consider anything else than m1 or m2 from apple. I thought it is a given :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah, totally agree… I was trying to say that if you were thinking of buying a secondhand or refurbished Mac, then I’d never buy the previous MacBook Pro over the M1 or M2 versions because I used one at work for years and the fan noise was insane.

1 Like

I would suggest making sure the previous owner is properly signed out of iCloud. Easily forgotten step that easily ruins the purchase of an otherwise brilliant computer.

1 Like

Get a Macbook and get over your distaste.

Windows is a disaster. I have a Lenovo laptop and Dell workstation maxed out for my work stuff… and every 3 months I need to keep running 3rd party software to rid them from excess bullshit that pile up and hog memory…

Windows machines have a tendency to get real bloated real quick.

My Macbook Pro from 2013 has NEVER ran into issues.

No brainer really…. Macs are a Godsend from higher powers for music production.

The hardware/software integration just means shit works… always.

Something like an iPhone that runs native software designed specifically for its hardware - runs with no issues… always runs fast.

In stark contrast to an Android phone that runs native google software but with an added layer of excess bullshit software from the phone manufacturer to make it a Samsung or whatever else…

Bollocks.

3 Likes

I’ll let you know in a few days…

how much did ye get it for? :moneybag:

£730, off eBay (seller with a shit ton of positive feedback).

Assuming no bullshit it’s nearly new, less than 50 charging cycles, looks in near perfect condition.

But the seller has put the word immaculate in the title, so shouldn’t be a big deal returning it if it ain’t in tip top condition.

As long as it works properly I don’t really give a shit though.

4 Likes

Anyone got any tips for a decent USB hub, cos I’m gonna need one?

syntakt usb straight into that bad boy is a thing of beauty

3 Likes

I use a Kensington nucleum

What all do you need to plug in?

Syntakt, Audio interface, probably a MIDI controller at some point, could probably do with HDMI too for monitors.

1 Like

The nucleum has 2 usb 3 and a usb c port then it also leaves a port free on the Mac so you can plug in 4 things in total. It also has hdmi and allows power through to charge the MacBook when in use

1 Like
3 Likes

I have syntakt, push, m32 keyboard and external ssd plugged into mine currently

1 Like

I am on this one 3x full-size USB + HDMI + Full size SD card + micro sd.
Made from aluminum to match the mac small in size and easy to carry.

Sometimes I wish it would have slightly longer cable but it is not a big deal.
I don’t like that it takes a little bit of power even when nothing is connected to the hub but maybe it is the case with all the different USB c hubs with this connectivity.

UGREEN USB C Hub Multiport Adapter, 6-in-1 USB C to HDMI Adapter with 4K HDMI, USB 3.0 Data Port, SD/TF Card Slot, Aluminum USB C Dongle for MacBook, Type-C Laptop, Surface, Steam Deck and iPad Pro

1 Like

Well done.

You’ll hate it.

3 Likes

The collective says ‘do drugs’

Too late

2 Likes