I'm genuinely thinking about buying a laptop and Ableton. Talk me out of it

Probably best to visit Chicago in the late spring or summer. LMK when you plan to stop by so I can have plenty of Malört on hand.

4 Likes

Looks like my kind of sushi

2 Likes

We discuss a kind of cheapest tablet in the catalog, let’s look at the entire range, with a minimum of correct specs, the price of accessories, the private standards of the ecosystem…
The mac is ridiculously expensive and it’s not an Air that will restore the balance (in my opinion).
Apple is a manufacturer of tablets, telephones and connected watches, the “computer” will disappear from their catalog in the end.

Edit
Please note that the prices in Europe are not the prices charged in North America.

oops, here is the real Malört, but it should go well with hot dog nigiri.

2 Likes

Just as an alternative opinion i still have a laptop I got off Ebay about 10 years ago that runs Ableton perfectly - a couple of hours optimizing all the settings in Windows and deleting crap and they are good to go I have found… I can’t stand Windows 11 but i never use it… just load up Bitwig and that is it, just a groovebox to me that could be running on anything…

This thread made me look into Ableton/Live and I felt all my energy drain just looking at the screen shots.

3 Likes

Bitwig is excellent. If I hadn’t already been using Ableton and Maxforlive for ages, I’d be using that.

2 Likes

Needed MacOS for a Lightkey install, found a M1 Air on Craigslist for $250. Not even stolen! :slight_smile:

If I want to install Windows or any Unix variant I could just multi-boot.

Real men build their computer from vacuum tubes and code their own operating systems. Everything else is for sissies.

14 Likes

Ah yes, your first winter in Chicago :wink:

1 Like

(Bill Gates FYI)

3 Likes

Well… not yet. While Windows does have an ARM version nowadays which can run on a Mac M1/M2, bootcamp and windows are not supporting it yet due to some licensing issues and because Microsoft does not have a public release yet (for pc’s) of Windows 10/11 for ARM.

The only way you can currently run arm windows on m1 macs is parallels desktop which runs in macOS as a standard program. It’s good & works well though but is slow on 8gb ram.

1 Like

What type of sadist would want to put windows on a Mac. Maniacs

I jest because I did exactly that few years back for work. Now I run Microsoft Remote Desktop which lets me access all my work apps and runs super smooth

2 Likes

It’s been ages since i’ve been on the campus, but Microsoft devs were pretty fond of the macbook as their main workstation :slight_smile:

Ah, good point. I’ve dual-booted on earlier hardware builds but this is my first ARM.

4 Likes

For a while it was very popular actually because it was one of the best performing windows laptops.

4 Likes

It’s an absolute revelation for me, I can compile code from Xcode & VCC from the same source code/folder in the same session. It’s astounding & saves a ton of hassle & time generating builds. I have Xcode on 1 monitor & Win 11 on the other and simply move the mouse between the 2 screens. Apple & Microsoft tend to intentionally make it hard to share data between machines generally with file systems etc, parallels has the goal of breaking down the barriers & does it really well. You can share files between each side & even use applications.

Now if you wanted to use windows extensively then yeah it’s better to run it natively, hopefully boot camp will be available at some point in the future so that option is also available.

2 Likes

Yeah, I have windows 10 on my 2011 MBP it works as well as any other PC, Apple abandoned it years ago so I just have a very small High Sierra partition & windows 10 is the default.

This dude is a real tweep. Way too much throw away money. Mr. Paris changes his mind about as often as most change their socks.

I find it quite amusing that people who have no problems spending thousands and thousands on hardware that could easily be emulated on a MacBook for a fraction of the price diss Apple because their computers are too expensive. Like, that’s where you draw the line? Lol

4 Likes